3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fog light kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:09 PM
dieseldoc1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fog light kit

looking at fog light kit for a 06 ram on dodge parts.com and it says vehicle must be programed by dealer to work. what's that about?

Old 12-27-2007, 11:43 PM
MoparRob
Veteran
Default RE: fog light kit

Its something about how the relays are controlled by the computer. Thats why alot of people here complain that you cant have the fogs on at the same time as the brights because the computer forces the relay open. A few guys on here have installed the kit and did have to go to the dealer to flash it... Hope this helps.

Old 12-28-2007, 06:19 PM
Rgory
Rookie

Well I think there is two kits, or one kit and then you get the stock headlight switch. I know the one that is offered via mopar accesories has a seperate toggle switch that you have to drill into the dash. A buddy at work installed a set of fog's on his 06 1/2 ton and I remembered laughing at how bad it looked on such a nice truck. Looking into it I found you can get the stock headlight switch and an aditional harness to make it all factory. I would try installing it all first and then if it doesnt work get it in to have them turned on via starscan tool.

Ryan

Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a factory set up, order Mopar kit # 82209047. This is the best install. When you install the kit, the fog lights may/may not work. And if they do work, they may stay on when high beams are on. The STAR scan tool is supposed to be used to "enable" front fog light output. But I have installed many, many sets of these and sometimes they work right without "enabling" them and sometimes they don't. If you have them from the factory and they go off when brights are on, there is a way for the dealer to tell them to stay on, but it may not be legal where you live so I can't post the directions in this post. But if you wanna know....PM or call me, but it may be hard to get the dealer to do it for you.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 PM
damien1023
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service

If you want a factory set up, order Mopar kit # 82209047. This is the best install. When you install the kit, the fog lights may/may not work. And if they do work, they may stay on when high beams are on. The STAR scan tool is supposed to be used to "enable" front fog light output. But I have installed many, many sets of these and sometimes they work right without "enabling" them and sometimes they don't. If you have them from the factory and they go off when brights are on, there is a way for the dealer to tell them to stay on, but it may not be legal where you live so I can't post the directions in this post. But if you wanna know....PM or call me, but it may be hard to get the dealer to do it for you.

if i have an 07 sxt could i order this kit and be alright? im confused on which one i need when i decide to get one...

Old 12-29-2007, 12:26 AM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Will that kit work for 07's also?

Old 12-29-2007, 04:33 AM
spud11
Veteran

I think its illegal in all 50 states, but don't quote me, the thought process behind it is that when you're in heavy fog the highbeams will reflect back of the fog bank reducing your vison even more, and its a curdosy to other drivers, but people belive that if your high beams are on you aren't in fog and don't need the fog lights on. Although I like having the xtra close in visiblity that lose when the highs are on. Parts service, I saw a kit on the internet that is supposed to allow you to have the flash to pass (both hi and low beams) stay on constantly when you switch to hi beams, have you heard of this and if so does it really work without screwing with the computer?

Old 12-29-2007, 08:33 AM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Factory fog lights make a BIG difference. They really light up the road in front of you.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:03 PM
bltp203
Rookie

I can't find anything in the Michigan Motor Vehicle Coderegarding having your high beams and fog lights on at the same time. I can understand the thought process of why you can have one or the other, but I can't find where you can get a ticket for it.

I run a bright box and can have my low, high, and fog lights on all at the same time.

Quick Reply: fog light kit