3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Rear end Noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 12:17 AM
Story
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Rear end Noisy?

I just had a new Auburn LSD and Motive 4.56 put in by a local shop. The gears seem to be making a lot of noise under pressure but as soon as I let of the gas it stops. It's a whine as soon as you step on the gas along with what sounds like bad tires when the speed gets to around 60mph. Does this seem right or are the gears installed wrong? The guy told me it would go away after break in at around 200 to 300 miles. Was he full of B.S. I don't want to "F" up a new rear end as that's why I just replaced it. Seems way worse than my original! What should I do?

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM
chadmech28
Professional
Default RE: New Rear end Noisy?

sould like it wrong gear contact, probally wrong bearing preload. You don't have to break arear end in.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:19 PM
BHRAM

he probably didnt set the backlash correctly i would take it back and have the shop take a look at it

Old 12-30-2007, 12:48 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Backlash not set properly. Yes you have to break in gears, but set up properly, they will never whine or make any other noise! If not taken care of and reset properly right away, they will fail and you will have to purchase a new set...

Old 12-30-2007, 01:22 PM
REDWAGN

I a noisey rear end too, but its the Burritos..
Sorry

Old 12-30-2007, 06:01 PM
ccdmader

I have done two gear swaps over the years and two things I know for sure.
1. New gears like any other metal to metal contact parts do take a break in period to properly seat.

2. If they are making noise under acceleration then it is likely the back lash is not set up properly. Even during breakin ther should be no noise, at least not that you can hear. i am presuing you are hearing this in the cab while driving, crap thats pretty loud.

Try taking it to another shop and don't mention you just had the gears done and say what they have to say. Bet they will want to tear it apart to have a look. Its also a good idea to change out the fluid after a few hundred miles to check for any metal chips.

Chris

Old 12-30-2007, 07:22 PM
Story
Amateur

I knew it. I paid cash so this guy would come in. I had him replace my converter, rear end and shift kit which he didn't do nor do I have the kit. F'n A-hole. I will try and take it back to him on Wed. but I'm thinking that I got the shaft. Man that sucks. Anyone know someone in the Naples/ Ft. Myers Florida area that can do this the honest way. I'm out $800 for just labor as I supplied all the parts. I guess that's where I went wrong. I could have done a better job except for setting the preload. I'm sure I could have spent $800 for the tools and figured it out myself. It's so vary hard to trust anyone to do work for you. There is just way too many dishonest people in this world. Damn it! Thanks for all the help. Wish me luck!

Old 12-30-2007, 07:44 PM
BHRAM

ORIGINAL: Story

I knew it. I paid cash so this guy would come in. I had him replace my converter, rear end and shift kit which he didn't do nor do I have the kit. F'n A-hole. I will try and take it back to him on Wed. but I'm thinking that I got the shaft. Man that sucks. Anyone know someone in the Naples/ Ft. Myers Florida area that can do this the honest way. I'm out $800 for just labor as I supplied all the parts. I guess that's where I went wrong. I could have done a better job except for setting the preload. I'm sure I could have spent $800 for the tools and figured it out myself. It's so vary hard to trust anyone to do work for you. There is just way too many dishonest people in this world. Damn it! Thanks for all the help. Wish me luck!
that sucks man........ as far as gears go im sure that there a shops out there that will do them correctly or just go to the deaership

Old 12-30-2007, 08:50 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Dude, not only does it sound like he did a **** job, but $800 to install is high. I paid 4 Wheel Parts in Orlando roughly $800 for the two sets of gears, a master install kit with Timken bearings for the rear and the Auburn LSD. Installation was $600 and that included bringing it back in 500 miles for an inspection and fluid change! And that's a chain where I actually got the highest labor quote of the three places I checked. I chose them because they were only a little higher and two people who I trust swore by them.
I'll guarentee you, if they whine now, they'll whine in 200 miles. Also, be sure after youget it right,to break them in properly (Randy's Ring & Pinion has an excellent write up on how to break them in right) and change the fluid in the rear within 500 miles with a good inspection of both the gears and the old fluid.

Old 12-31-2007, 01:50 AM
SLCHemi
Professional

Hammer and the others have it right, they shouldn't make noise like that, but do definately require a break in. Take 'em back and make the mechanic re-do it !

Quick Reply: New Rear end Noisy?