3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Spark Plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 11:01 AM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Spark Plugs

I had the shop change my spark plugs last weekend and the guy said that when he did it the truck had platnum spark plugs in it? now I did buy the truck used but it only had 20k miles on it when they guy I bought it from got it and he told me he never changed them? now I thought that the truck was supposed to use copper plugs? the garage put platnum plugs back into the truck because that is what they took out. does this sound funny to any of you guys also?

I do trust this shop I have been doing buisness with them for a long time and I have never had a problem.

'06 5.7L big horn.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:22 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Default RE: Spark Plugs

ORIGINAL: RamWood

I had the shop change my spark plugs last weekend and the guy said that when he did it the truck had platnum spark plugs in it? now I did buy the truck used but it only had 20k miles on it when they guy I bought it from got it and he told me he never changed them? now I thought that the truck was supposed to use copper plugs? the garage put platnum plugs back into the truck because that is what they took out. does this sound funny to any of you guys also?

I do trust this shop I have been doing buisness with them for a long time and I have never had a problem.

'06 5.7L big horn.
Sounds like the first owner changed to platinum way early.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:30 PM
Rammin02
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure platinum wasn't OE? most OE's use them to get that 100k mile life, even though they are junk...

Old 01-02-2008, 01:59 PM
RamWood
Professional

platnum is not OE that is why the manual says to replace them every 30k miles.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:06 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The concensus is DO NOT put platinum plugs in the Hemi. I've read two reasons: some idiot will leave them in there for 100K, and then they won't come out. I've also read of heat issues with platinum plugs.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:45 PM
RamWood
Professional

any ideas where I might be able to find some writen proof of this so I could show the guys at the shop and have them put in the correct plugs?

Old 01-02-2008, 08:42 PM
reiderr
Professional

Well, the owner's manual and the decal on the underside of the hood provide the Champion part number. Would that be enough proof?

Old 01-03-2008, 10:21 AM
eltupac
All Star

ORIGINAL: reiderr

Well, the owner's manual and the decal on the underside of the hood provide the Champion part number. Would that be enough proof?
Yes, that will do it. I was dumb enough not to look there until after the sob at the auto parts told me that platinum is the best for our trucks.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:25 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

platinums could run to hot and cause pinging also they are way overpriced.... champion copper core is a stock plug and works best with our engine....

Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 AM
RamWood
Professional

well the cost is not an issue, The guy told me that he knew the planums were more expensive but he had already quoted me the price so he did not charge me any more.

Quick Reply: Spark Plugs