3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???

Old 01-03-2008, 09:16 AM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???

I just changed my oil, and it definitely took every drop of 7 quarts, but as frogger said, that does include what goes into the filter.

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 AM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Following is out of an 2007 service manual...Hope it helps....

ENGINE OIL WITH FILTER

3.7L
4.7L (5.0 Quarts)

4.7L
5.6L (6.0 Quarts)

5.7L
6.6L (7.0 Quarts)

5.9L/6.7L Diesel Engines
11.4L (12.0 Quarts.)

For 3.7L/4.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures. For 5.7L engines SAE 5W-20 engine oil is recommended for all operating temperatures.These engine oils improve low temperature starting and vehicle fuel economy. Refer to your engine oil filler cap for the recommended engine oil viscosity for your vehicle. Vehicles with 5.7L engines equipped with Multiple Displacement System (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement System (MDS). Refer to Multi Displacement System under Starting and Operating for details. Refer to the engine oil filler cap for the recommened engine oil viscosity for each vehicle.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 AM
RamWood
Professional

ORIGINAL: MoparMan61L

We do hemi oil changes all day long at my dealership, we use7 quarts and never have a problem. If they use bulk oil the oil drops may be putting out too much oil when they set it to 7 quarts.
I would say that is your answer

Old 01-03-2008, 05:41 PM
slapshot12
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with moparman also. I think the oil system the dealer used for the bulk oil isn't reading right. I'd definately bring it up to the service manger. I changed my oil and filtera month ago and it took all 7 quarts and it was just below the full hot mark on the dipstick.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:18 PM
rebelz99
Professional

I've done my oil change on my 04 ram and needed 7 quarts to be at the highest level on the dip stick, on my 08 with a K&N oil filter and 5w30 synthetic oil, I need 7.5 quarts to be at the top mark, at 7 qts, I'm just a wee bit over half the safe zone.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:58 PM
Wanderer
Veteran

The issue has to be the dip stick markings or the tube length. The engine was designed to take 7 quarts. The is only one oil pan, so that is not an issue. Since I'm getting old, haveto take the old oil to the recycling centerand my local service station (yea, a gas station that still does mechanical work) gives me a geat price on an Amsoil oil change, it gets done there. After filling with 7 quarts out of the bottle, it measured up at the fill line when warm. They suggested that an additional 1/2 a quart would be ok. That is incorrect. Over filling is a warning in every maintence manual I have ever read. With mass produced engines, the tube could have been inserted incorrectly and in your case maybe to deep. The dip stick cap could be off a half an inch giving the false reading.

From my NHRA days I know that a lower oil level increases horesepower and lowers elasped time. One the street, running a halfa quart low has been a trick to increasegas mileage sice the 70's. However, that means that you have to check the oil level more frequently, just like the olden days.

TwoZs, if you feel confortable with the 6 1/4 quarts, you will not do any harm, just check your oil level frequently, keeping it topped off if required.

Thanks for reminding me about the "good old days." My most successful campaign was in 1970 running a 1965 Plymouth in O/SA (O/stock automatic) running highconsisently 5 tenths over the national record which was good enough to own the local tracks in theNJ/NY area. Was even at the track when the frist unbeleivable dragster broke 200 mph in the quarter.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:54 PM
dieseldoc1
Professional

on mine if u put in 7 and ck right after u shut off it will show low, after it sits a while it will be right on the mark.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:00 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker

Mine fits 7 also...I just buy the 5 qt jug and 2 seperate quarts of penz platinumat wal-mart. Sometimes i'll get mobil-1 but a guy from my other forum has sent a virgin sample of both to Blackstone labs...penz platinum has better add packs according to blackstone.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:06 PM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Next time, do your own oil change and find out where everything is sitting. Just a though, but maybe the dipstick was installed incorrectly and this is why it it is reading wrong. Don;t know if that can actually happen, but never know.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:09 PM
TwoZs

Thanks for all the inputs and ideas. I certainly don’t have any confidence in this dealership…I’ll try talking to another one and see what they have to say about. I just don’t want to take a chance on damaging the engine by running it too low or high. I’ll let you know what I find out. I’m not sure if you can insert the tube too far since it has a mount bracket welded to the tube and secured to the engine. Does anyone have the length of the dip stick and tube? Here are mine: tube is 10 1/8” from the top of the mounting bracket to the top of the tube and dip stick is 38 7/16” from the tip to the bottom of the handle seat.

Thanks,
Jim

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???