3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 11:36 PM
SeVeReDiStOrTiOn
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???

ORIGINAL: TwoZs

Thanks for all the inputs and ideas. I certainly don’t have any confidence in this dealership…I’ll try talking to another one and see what they have to say about. I just don’t want to take a chance on damaging the engine by running it too low or high. I’ll let you know what I find out. I’m not sure if you can insert the tube too far since it has a mount bracket welded to the tube and secured to the engine. Does anyone have the length of the dip stick and tube? Here are mine: tube is 10 1/8” from the top of the mounting bracket to the top of the tube and dip stick is 38 7/16” from the tip to the bottom of the handle seat.

Thanks,
Jim
You're lookign too far into it...just make sure it isn't over filled but stillin the 1 qt safe zone. The next time your oil change is due do it yourself and put exactly 7 qts and a filter in...if it's still over filled after sitting for a few minutesthen you have a prob.

Old 01-26-2008, 03:52 PM
hemiman4ever

just changed the oil in mine today and went to synthetic.used 7 qts and the stick showed it was right on the money.after i had read this thread i decided to do it myself and pour inone qt at a time.came out perfect.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:54 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is also possible they filled from a bulk tank of oil using one of those dial it in fill guns----and its out of calibration, or just leaks past the stop point.

Next time do the oil change yourself, replace the filter and put seven qts in, start the engine and fill the filter, stop the engine,let it drain and check it. I'll bet its right on the mark-----or someone put a brick in your oil pan at the factory.

Old 08-05-2011, 10:09 PM
svnwolves

Originally Posted by MoparMan61L
We do hemi oil changes all day long at my dealership, we use7 quarts and never have a problem. If they use bulk oil the oil drops may be putting out too much oil when they set it to 7 quarts.
I Know I am a bit late on this. The issue with an overfill is if it to your crank. If your crank turns in the oil it will break down the oil and start to foam. Foamed oil can not be pumped and the top half is dry. lower end seals can wear from the sloshing. I have not seen this in the hemi yet but I had the same thing in my wife's car. Her car had 5,000 miles and within 50 miles the motor was done. They put 5 qts in however the dealer did a "jiffy lube" job and left 2 qts in the crank. The dealer bought a crate. My 07 5.7L hemi takes 6.1 qts with a filter. I don't know how .9 qt could be in a ph16 but ok.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Thread from the dead, but seven quarts is the capacity, NOT the refill amount. I just did mine last weekend - drain for quite a while, oil in the filter ('bout 3/4 full), five quart jug in the motor and back it off the ramps. Let it sit for a while - it took about another quart, so there was 1/2 - 3/4 quart still in the motor. Seven quarts back in the motor is too much and is much worse than too little oil!

Old 08-06-2011, 12:53 AM
06Dak4.7Silver
Record Breaker

correct, overfilling the engine with oil causes foaming which leads to poor lubrication and premature wearing of engine components. 07 hemi = Engine Oil 6.6Liters (7.0 Qt)..thats straight off of alldata and counts for the filter change

Old 08-06-2011, 10:54 AM
keepushin770
Amateur

I think if ur an auto repair shop/ oil change whatever u should kno these things. Mine always calls me out to look at the stick. So in sure they either account for the leftover oil or their drops are calibrated right. Either way if they're confident they'll show u without u having to ask.

Old 10-07-2011, 10:17 AM
72combo
Champion

I am in Canada and usually have the dealer supply and do the oil change, it is always over filled when I get it. I decided to go Synthetic so I called them and the price doubled to 118 bucks for and oil change using their supplied Mobil 1. That was unacceptable so I asked if I supply my oil and filter what is the labour...12 bucks. So I went thru the Windsor-Detroit tunnel to Detroit and hit and Autozone that had Valvoline Synthetic with Fram Tough Gard or Extended guard I forget but anyway it came with it all for 29 bucks for either 5 quart bottles or 1 jug which is 5 quarts plus which usually takes care of the extra oil you need when you do a normal car oil change but since the HEMI takes 7 quarts I gave them the jug and 3 extra quarts. Well they put all in except one quart which by the labels alone it is overfilled. So when I checked it after getting home and letting it sit for a few minutes it looked like a quart over but so clear and thin hard to tell. So I check the next day definately about a half inch on the stick over filled. So I call they said that is okay. I was not happy with that so went back to get them to drain some they would not they said that is the norm. Well from now on I am gonna only supply 7 quart bottles that way the exact amount will get in. I also wonder do they really let it drain long enough?My regular oil change with their supplied conventional oil is over 50 bucks. This cost me less since in get a total of 10 bucks in rebates for the oil and filter so I paid 21 total for oil and filter and 12 plus 2.95 eco tax and then HST on that so 21 plus around 15 bucks is only 36 dollars for a Synthetic oil change, 20 less than regular.....amazing if you shop around. I don't see why the same oil over here would have been over 50 just for the oil and well there are sales but not near what you can get at the places in the states...free oil filters with the oil and not just cheap ones.
My concern about over filling is causing leaks from too much pressure but I guess if the dealer says it's okay it's okay?

Old 10-07-2011, 01:35 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Originally Posted by 72combo
... and 3 extra quarts. Well they put all in except one quart which by the labels alone it is overfilled...
So next time take 'em the jug and ONE quart. If the say they can't "underfill" it, say "never mind" and leave. They're just throwing YOUR money away.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:39 PM
NV290
All Star

I agree on two things:

1. The dealers oil metering equipment could very well be off. Any mechanical or electronic metering device can go out of calibration.

2. Your dipstick may be defective. I have seen that happen before. All it takes is for it to be cut too long or two short when it was manufactured or even possibly (although less likley) stamped in the wrong place.

Very simple ways to solve this mystery....

Do your own oil change using quart bottles so their is no issues with faulty metering equipment.

If after doing it yourself their is still a descrepency, find someone with the same year and model engine and pull and compare dipsticks.

I know when i do an oil change more then a 1/2 a quart of oil goes into the filter alone before i install it. (Mobil 1 filter). But i dump the remainder of that quart plus 6 more in the engine and my dipstick is fine.

And i agree too little is much better then two much. In my years pumping gas when i was younger, i had customers who's cars were 1-2 quarts down all the time with no ill effects.

Quick Reply: 07 hemi engine oil capacity not 7 qts???