3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:01 PM
reddawg9
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question same problems

I am having this problem too with my 07 ram 1500 5.7 hemi. When I had the codes read it came back P0344. With a definition of cam sensor defective (replaced with mopar sensor a month ago), check connector to wiring and sensor, engine mechanical condition-timing belt/chain out of time. Cylinder misfire.

I didn't have any problems for about 2 months then all the sudden it does it 4 times in one week. Usually within the first 20 minutes of driving the ETC light comes on and I lose acceleration. It seems that it only happens when it is really hot out.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can fix this? The family is going on vacation in 2 weeks, kinds need to fix this fast.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:44 PM
janie

Check with JoeHemi, he's got pictures on how to clean your Throttle. They helped me because mine just turned on after 1 year since I cleaned it.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:07 PM
cabman
Default codes

I am a new user and this forum is wonderfull. My 2005 Dodge 2500 Hemi was running wonderfull. The lightning bolt light came on and flashed, it seamed like the transmission was slipping then 30 seconds later it stayed solid and I barely got the truck off the road. It would not stay running. I called a friend and he told me to reset the computer by taking off and touching the pos batter cable to the neg. It didn't work at first but we got gas, mid grade instead of reg. and after a couple minutes tried it again. It ran OK and got us home, about 20miles. I could not get the site to come up that gone fishing listed. But I do have the codes. P0129 and P2172. Any help that you can give me before I have to take it to the dealership would be appreciated. I already have a KnN airfiler and it was just cleaned

Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM
john6410

Originally Posted by abarmby
Do the key trick and find out what codes are being thrown.
What you do is, turn the ignition keyfrom the off to just when the ignition only lights come on, on the dashbaord. but not the last click on the switch so as to start it.
Quickly turn it back to the off position.
Then do this a further 2 times, making three in all and leave it in the ignition on position on the third time.
It should take 2-3 seconds to do this correctly.
Then, on this third try, look at where the oddometer displays the mileage on your dashboard display.
You will find that the computer runs through some checks and any codes that have been thrown, will be displayed in the oddometer as P---- a 4 digit number.
Make a note of these codes and the prefix letter.
Do a search on this board for error codes and look them up.
This will tell you what system/part, is causing your check lights to come on.
That will narrow things down a bit.
Post your codes up on this board and the guys will give you a heads up, on what to either check/clean or replace.
This will work for 03 Hemis and others,as I do it on my 03 and it works 100%.
If you can't get the codes up in the oddometer display, your turning your key incorrectly.
Hope this helps and post up your codes.
Al.
I took mine to a repair shop with the same problem. Error codes 2106,and 2175 . There is a technical service bulletin out.(18-035-02) ECM will have to be programmed only at a dodge dealership. I was told this by a qualified machanic..

Old 09-29-2011, 12:10 AM
Olerodder

Haven't been on the site for some time, just been busy moving and trying to get my race car back together.
I had the Electronic Throttle Light come on now three times on my 2008 5.7L. Once it did it twice, but the check engine light did not come on, and it was after leaving a stop light. The truck just "nosed over" for not more than a couple of seconds and then took off again. The next time I was stopping at a stop light and it did the same thing. Those were both in one short trip (the motor was warm) and in a span of maybe 20 minutes. The second time just this week it did it after leaving a stop light and turning a hard left corner..........nosed over and then a second later took off again.
The other thing I have been noticing (I will see if I can check for codes tomorrow morning) it that when I have the computer set to read miles per gallon and come I come to a stop light or have to wait in traffic, it just keeps going down, it got down below 7mpg on the computer. During normal driving on the highway or at a steady speed it will get up to where it normally should be, but if you let it idle it just continues to go down and I have never noticed this before. Wonder if they could be related?
The truck has 43k miles and I do have extended warranty but the Dodge dealer in South San Jose just leaves me cold.
Thanks,
John

Old 09-29-2011, 09:08 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Olerodder
Haven't been on the site for some time, just been busy moving and trying to get my race car back together.
I had the Electronic Throttle Light come on now three times on my 2008 5.7L. Once it did it twice, but the check engine light did not come on, and it was after leaving a stop light. The truck just "nosed over" for not more than a couple of seconds and then took off again. The next time I was stopping at a stop light and it did the same thing. Those were both in one short trip (the motor was warm) and in a span of maybe 20 minutes. The second time just this week it did it after leaving a stop light and turning a hard left corner..........nosed over and then a second later took off again.
The other thing I have been noticing (I will see if I can check for codes tomorrow morning) it that when I have the computer set to read miles per gallon and come I come to a stop light or have to wait in traffic, it just keeps going down, it got down below 7mpg on the computer. During normal driving on the highway or at a steady speed it will get up to where it normally should be, but if you let it idle it just continues to go down and I have never noticed this before. Wonder if they could be related?
The truck has 43k miles and I do have extended warranty but the Dodge dealer in South San Jose just leaves me cold.
Thanks,
John
John,

If you want to PM me your VIN I can check for TSB's on this issue. As far as the MPG's readout, if you are stopped or moving very slowly it should read somewhere near zero since you will get very little MPG's during these conditions.

I would also suggest a different dealer if the one you have been using has bad customer service. No excuse for that. I can send you a list of dealers in your area if you want. If you have a Chrysler Service Contract it is good at any Chrysler dealer.

Old 12-25-2011, 03:13 AM
Melinda Douglas

I was just wondering if everyone is still willing to help with the problems previously posted in this thread. Just bought a 2004 ram 1500 5.7 hemi magnum a few weeks ago, took it on a road trip today and having the same exact issues. We are going to get it home and do the key turn code thing and see what we get. I just wanted to ask and make sure posting here for help would be ok...

Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Melinda Douglas
I was just wondering if everyone is still willing to help with the problems previously posted in this thread. Just bought a 2004 ram 1500 5.7 hemi magnum a few weeks ago, took it on a road trip today and having the same exact issues. We are going to get it home and do the key turn code thing and see what we get. I just wanted to ask and make sure posting here for help would be ok...

Melinda, Go to Weedahoe's

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...-weedahoe.html

profile and get the FSM it will have all the DTC's listed for your year truck, and is a great troubleshooting guide too.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:33 AM
PRADO
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just like it was said there is a TSB for that condition and it consist of flashing the pcm on ur truck, certain models actually recomend a new throttle body with the flash.. im picking up my recently purchased ram in a few days and thats the first thing im gonna do is flash the pcm and do a BG throttle service.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:07 PM
kwinny
Default Throttle body problems

Hi, I'm having problems with my 03 Ram 1500. I followed Abarmby's instructions with the key trick and got the following codes
p0440, p0441, p2106, and p2173 can someone help find out what
these codes mean, it would be greatly appreciated

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problems