3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electronic Throttle Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 11:52 AM
willmc43
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Etc help

Yeah i would like to see or find that too.Just bought our truck 45 days and already problems.Thought i was getting a good deal on truck but have a feeling thats why they got rid of it. 04 1500 hemi 4x4. What i googled said 900. to fix and i'm in constuction so cant do that in winter.Any help would be very helpful.Thanks

Old 12-26-2010, 11:17 AM
Buggsy
Professional

I don't know of any directions, or how-to articles, but the good news it's actually not the hard.

Take off the Hemi "hat" (plastic air box), and unplug all the sensors connected to it. Next, carefully remove the three bolts that hold the TB on. Carefull remove the TB. It's possible you'll ruin the gasket underneath, so be prepared to need a new one of those. Clean it with brake cleaner.

It's that easy.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:57 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I found this for you but there are also a few threads with pics of guys in tis section who have cleaned their TB

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...y-hemivec.html

Old 12-28-2010, 07:21 PM
willmc43

Thank you both for the help.I am gonna try and take apart and see if this helps.Whomever owned this truck previous to me has taken the black hemi hat off and rigged up with a k&n filter and with a chrome pipe.I'm just hoping this helps the problem.I am so frustrated that i have a new truck and already problems.The ETC light has not came back on but the truck is still dying once in awhile as i am turning or coming to a stop and when i get on the highway and give it gas it hesitates.I'm so disappointed so hopefully cleaning it will do the job.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 AM
willmc43

Took mine apart and cleaned it and replaced the egr valve also. It has been running fine since i did that.I'M hoping that was the problem.Thanks for all the information from everyone.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:54 AM
ssbracing

I replaced mine for about $25.00 from Autozone and it is running great. When you pull the TPS off you have to very careful with the gasket if you are not going to replace the TPS then I would put on a new gasket.
hope this helps

Old 02-10-2011, 07:42 PM
cherny780
Exclamation Issues with tps light

I have searched threads and topics and I have similar issues and apologize in advance for jacking this thread. I just was not too sure where else to go as i am new to this and have had a lot of success going through threads without having to post ! I have a 2003 Ram 1500 4x4 w/5.7L hemi 190,000 kms. I have these ugrades: Bully Dog, Triple Dog GT Gas gauge/tuner. aired CAI, aired TBS. e3 spark plugs, 8.5mm msd spark plug wires. Just in case it helps.
Here is my issue to begin with my truck runs and starts great, but when I am driving either city or highway at a stop light or going to pass if I want to "gun it" it goes but in about 2 seconds it cuts out and the tps (lightning bolt) light flashes and i have no throttle it still runs and have everything but no throttle. I fix this by shifting into neutral turning the truck off and restart it shift back into drive and it "resets" it and I regain throttle having said this it pulls no codes at all I have even tried this with my obdII plugged in and still no codes or CIL. I have replaced the throttle body hoping this was the issue but to no prevail I have tried to recalibrate the throttle as well as mentioned in other threads. I have updated my bully dog and installed the update and nothing. I have been told that maybe its the drive by wire , the cam sensor or the maf sensor, but before i start changing things and spending more money I wanted to know if any one here could help a brother out. I have talked to the dodge mechanics and they just wanna charge me $140 bucks to run the diagnostics and that is my last resort. if any one could help me it would be greatly appreciated thank you for your time.

Shayne

Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM
chrizyako
Default ETC light on Dodge 2008

Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 sxt 2008
ETC light flashing codes p2127, p2128, p2138
1.cleaned throttle body
2. replaced fuel peddle
3.dealership ETC relearn,
4.dealership codes read,
5.dealership code reset
ETC light still flashing
6.Dealership check codes, No codes being thrown now
what now

Old 05-30-2011, 08:18 PM
ladank

2004 Dodge 1500 Hemi
question? I've been having same problems with first Check Engine on for about week, then yesterday ETC and went into limp mode, now about every 15 miles it comes on and goes to limp mode. I cleaned throttle body and replaced it but ETC light still comes on and goes into limp after about 20 miles of driving. I noticed while looking around that muffler is rusted out on intake (front) where pipe connects. Could that cause the problem??

Last edited by ladank; 05-30-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:30 PM
gator72106

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-and-dies.html

read here guys, i just had the same problem yall have.
Mine was a mix of dirty throttle body and dirty EGR, cleaned TB first and it helped alot, i guess the blade would stick a little on the buildup and cause the surging and lightning bolt to come on, after cleaning it still surged a little and would die when slowing for a stop, and also the lightning bolt flashed a couple times more.

I then took the egr off and took it completely apart, took the coil out of the insides and all and cleaned it all up.
put it together and jumped 12v to the two prongs on the bottom of the connector to make sure it was actuating.
apparently a bad/dirty egr can set off the ETC light also.

and make sure you reset the ECM after any TB or EGR cleaning or replacment where the truck can relearn.
If you dont it may act up for a while untill it relearns after a few drive cycles.

everything is solved so far.

Last edited by gator72106; 05-30-2011 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Electronic Throttle Control Problems