3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

flowmaster, no cats

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008 | 01:04 AM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion
Default RE: flowmaster, no cats

ORIGINAL: Hemiroid

why would you do that?? some back pressure is needed, if you have none you'll be slow as **** down lown
a muffler creates back pressure...

thanks hammer thats the closest thing to a compliment you give out

Old 01-07-2008 | 07:44 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Muffler alone did not create enough back pressure for me, and I have a fairly restrictive FM50 HD. After I installed LT Headers, Iwelded the cats back on less than 24 hrs. later because I felt a significant loss of low end torque. Mid & high HP gains were nice, but Ihad to get some of that torque back. I still don't think I have all the low end I had before the headers, but it's not as noticeable. Of course when I do that KRC 210 cam that'llfix that andthen some.

Without the headers, I don't think removing the cats will lose much low end.

Old 01-08-2008 | 07:49 AM
killerbud420
Veteran

so you didin feel that much more power with headers what kind did you get cause i was goin to get some but if you say that dont help much i hold off an get something else

Old 01-08-2008 | 10:40 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: killerbud420

so you didin feel that much more power with headers what kind did you get cause i was goin to get some but if you say that dont help much i hold off an get something else
Don't get me wrong there, Bud. I felt really good gains, but the headers kind of move that power curve up the rpm range a bit. Mid to high end HP gainsare VERY noticeable, but whatever you do to gain high end HP will take away a bit of low end torque and vice versa.
I got the Pacesetter LT's and for the price am very happy with them. I anticipated a little low end loss, whenever you reduce backpressure, the extreme low end torque is effected. However, of all the mods I've done, I've seen the best mpg gains with the headers (if I stay the hell off the gas pedal). The headers were just the next step in a process, next will come the cam that I've been planning on all along, after that I'll have the mid and highs that the CAI, exhaust & headers gave me AND some really solid low end torque gains...

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:14 AM
nickahern1
Record Breaker

i dont know about your trucks but my 06 must be different. i have 2 cats and they are part of the exhaust manifold. then to a y-pipe then used to go down to a resonator then muff then another resonator ( now i have no resonators). when i first got the truck i htought the first resonator was a cat until i brought it to the muffler shop and he told me it was a res. and i was like oh in that case rip those off

Quick Reply: flowmaster, no cats