3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bouncing when turning w/ 4x4 on

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2004, 08:43 PM
kevincw01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bouncing when turning w/ 4x4 on

I've never owned a 4x4 truck before this so this might be normal. When I have 4x4 hi on and I'm trying to make a turn, I can feel the tires griping too much and the tires start to stutter and bounce. The sharper I turn and the slower I go, the worse it gets. Is this normal for 4x4 or is there somthing wrong? It's super inconvienent when making 3 point turns

-Kevin

Old 12-05-2004, 11:37 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: bouncing when turning w/ 4x4 on

all thats telling you is your LSD is working right. I wouldnt run in 4x4 unless you realy need it on asphalt, you run the rish of messing your transfer up if you do it for extended periods.

what happens is the tires from your front to back are different sizes and revolving at different rates. this puts unnecessary stress on the chain inside the transfer and will cause it to stretch over time.

also, it sounds as if you have an electronic locker for your rear axel. that would be doing it as well. when you put it into 4x4 mode the rear end locks up. my truck does it, but only in 4L.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:08 AM
mazz
Veteran

Don't run in 4-wheel drive on dry pavement. It's only to be used in conditions that will allow for some slippage between the tires and the road surface, like snow, sand, mud. Running in 4-wheel drive on dry pavement will tear up the transfer case, not to mention the tires, especially during turns.

Old 12-06-2004, 02:49 AM
kevincw01
Rookie

it was raining really bad and I was tired of slipping on turns at red lights. I guess I could have turned it off once in the parking lot. Good to know that nothing is wrong though.

Old 12-06-2004, 04:10 AM
adamsredlines
Professional

4x4 in rain? Kinda overkill, LOL. A little less gas will prevent slipping.

Old 12-15-2004, 09:53 PM
unixfool
Amateur

ORIGINAL: adamsredlines

4x4 in rain? Kinda overkill, LOL. A little less gas will prevent slipping.
I forget the exact torque specs of the Hemi engine (this IS a Hemi, correct?) but I'll shoot from the hip...374?

That's alot of torque. I had 300 in my 89 Mustang and it had a bit of weight in the back (convertible)...it'd easily break loose even at modest throttle.

I can imagine 374 lb/ft of torque in a truck with no weight in the back...prolly pretty easy to break traction in the wet. I've owned my 04 QC/H for less than a week and I can believe the original poster is losing traction in the wet

Old 12-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: unixfool
I forget the exact torque specs of the Hemi engine (this IS a Hemi, correct?) but I'll shoot from the hip...374?

That's alot of torque. I had 300 in my 89 Mustang and it had a bit of weight in the back (convertible)...it'd easily break loose even at modest throttle.

I can imagine 374 lb/ft of torque in a truck with no weight in the back...prolly pretty easy to break traction in the wet. I've owned my 04 QC/H for less than a week and I can believe the original poster is losing traction in the wet

first. . .the engine isnt a TRUE hemi. . .but it is close enough

second as long as your not hammering the gas you'll be fine in wet conditions. . .but try the same with a Cummins pushing 600 lb-ft at only 1600rpm. it'll get squirrely on you quick even on straight line dry conditions

Old 12-31-2004, 01:44 AM
Silver Eagle
Captain

Mine does that in two wheel drive. The dealer says that it's because I have a positraction rear. I don't buy it. I haven't tried it in four wheel drive yet.

Old 12-31-2004, 10:57 AM
mill500
Veteran

I agree with the others...save the 4wd for snow, dirt, etc. When you're feeling that it's putting a ton of strain on the drivetrain. It does break loose at the drop of a hat though in rain. I must say I've thought about 4x as well then, but this one's probably my 6th 4wd, so I know what it'll do. New transfer cases aint cheap...been there done that.

Old 12-31-2004, 04:15 PM
kevincw01
Rookie

Well, thanx all for the advice I won't be using 4x4 in the rain anymore. However, as many of you heard we're having a huge storm here in southern california (huge by CA standards ) and I jumped at the chance to drive to moutains during it . The new BFG TA/KO 33s, 4x4, and the HEMI were AWESOME! I didn't even feel a slip the entire drive up. Trucks and Sedans with chains were all over the road. I had a harder time avoiding the sliding 2wd-ers than I did driving in the snow.

I parked the truck in a down-angled driveway and woke up to a foot of snow over the top of the truck and 3 foot berm covering the driveway entrance thanks to the tractor who scraped the road. After snow blowing the driveway angle, I powered right over the berm in reverse with no problems in 4lo. I love this truck.

Pictures are here.

Quick Reply: bouncing when turning w/ 4x4 on