3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram 2500 V10 spark plugs gauled into head

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:25 AM
kb9ldk
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram 2500 V10 spark plugs gauled into head

One plug broke off while I was driving down the road. Hence the need to replace the plugs before the scheduled service period. I had the truck towed in. ($100) I ask the dealer to replace all plugs. The service adviser called and told me the mech. got the broken plug out, and to continue with the others meant totally committed to the repair as he was certain more would break, possibly facilitating the need to remove the head. As this vehicle is still in its 7/70 warranty, I was surprised to learn that a plug breaking off on its own was not covered as part of the power train. And also the cast head that has so permanently adhered itself to the factory plugs (gaulded) that a dealer is weary of the plugs breaking into the head, making head removal necessary, appears to have no coverage either. I am now worried that a truck that I bought will have to have the heads removed to change spark plugs before their first maint interval (30k) at extreme expense. I am sure this is not what Dodge had in mind for its loyal customers.

[IMG]local://upfiles/55009/479A83650FF74BE08D154FDA07B8FB74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-07-2008, 11:28 PM
JR 06
Professional
Default RE: 02 Ram 2500 V10 spark plugs gauled into head

Hey be glad you don't own one of the new Ford 3 valve motors. When you change the plugs it is almost guaranteed that at least one will break off in the head. Some of the techs at the dealership I work at have figured out how to get them out without removing the head, but it is still a PITA. Another reason I'm glad that I'm a diesel tech there.

Old 01-08-2008, 04:33 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How the heck does a plug just "break off"??? Hmmm, 30K miles in six years. Obviously not your daily driver. Also, how is this not covered? A part Dodge provided fails (catastrophically, I might add), and it's "too bad, so sad"? What are V10 owners supposed to do, pull the plugs once a year so they'll come out properly? I've heard of platinum plugs getting so fond of the head, they never want to leave. Are these platinum plugs?I guess this is one of those times. And to think I considered buying my father-in-law's V10 2500 when he sold his travel trailer. Ouch! Good luck, I would suspect this ain't gonna be a cheap repair.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:45 AM
kb9ldk

After much stress and headache, and many calls to Dodge,, Dodge did offer to cover head removal.. They called my local dealer here in Franklin, Indiana.. but this dealer would not work with them,, Dodge Rep called me and advised me to take my truck to a Dealer in the next town,, Greennwood, Indiana. 9 out of 10 plugs BROKE off into the heads.. This Dealer was able to remove these with easyouts,, no head removal,,, total COST,,, $800 dollars,,

Old 05-28-2008, 06:57 AM
Wapakfred
Rookie

Isn't that a bunch of crap.....I've fought stuck plugs in several vehicles but have never had a problem that severe. You'd think with they could engineer a solution for this problem. Guess it's more profitable to just make us pay. I don't drive my truck very much, so I intend to change plugs at much shorter than recommended intervals.

Quick Reply: 02 Ram 2500 V10 spark plugs gauled into head