3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winchs and/or lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 11:25 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Winchs and/or lights

Gotta work basically double shifts at work the next three days (one of the only two other guys there that knows the job's girlfriend is having labor induced tomorrow), so I'll work on a sticky this weekend and maybe put it in the offroad section. It probably belongs there more than here...

Btw: What the hell's up Warn's ***? Why would they have no interest in offering what would
seem like a fairly simple product to produce for the 06+ when they have it for the 02-05s.
I've noticed they are not the only company scaling back support for Dodge trucks lately. Something going on we don't know about?

Old 01-19-2008, 01:07 AM
Broich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Winchs and/or lights

Well can't find anything that i can buy to make it work like i want it. Seems like i'm being forced to put a system on the front to mount the winch too, or buy a huge and largely expensive front bumper..... And i don't really want to do this.

Does anyone have pictures or remember of anyone that has welded up their own setup on a 2006 or newer 1500? And how's dodge gonna feel about me welding onto the front horns of the frame? I've also never seen the powerwagon set up, if the winch is hidden how does the fairlead work sitting out front on the "weaker?" bumper part? If winching at any sort of an angle, it seems to me that the bumper would cave under the strain? My current winch plate, Warn one off the TJ, has the fairlead right up close to the winch and is made of fairly thick metal that ain't gonna bend or twist. ANy thoughts?

I was thinking all i'd need is a couple of thick, roughly, 8" pieces of angle iron that would be welded to frame, so that my plate and winch would sit on and bolt thru?! And obviously as close as possible to the front bumper. Then i'd need to cut out opening on stock bumper for winch line to run through, and bolt up the fairlead to the front of bumper with some supporting backing behind.And i'd have to open hood a little to get at winch to switch to freespool and/or hook up remote. Any opinions on my ideas...

D

Quick Reply: Winchs and/or lights