3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Winchs and/or lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:35 AM
Broich
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winchs and/or lights

Hey guys,

Just wondering who out there is running a winch and/or offroad lights. Want to know what my options are for mounting them on my 06 1500 QC SLT. I'm not really into the Warn set up, i don't really like the "hanging way off in front" look with a grill guard.

Anyone run a nice basic winch bumper, or possible to hide a winch behind bumper? Just sold the Jeep and kept the 9000# winch so would like to run it on the 06 1500. I know the 9000# isn't really big enough to pull out the Ram but it won't be stuck in 4 feet of mud anyways, thats what i had the jeep for. It's more for around the farm, pull the wife and buddies outta the ditches in the winters.

Thanks,

D

Old 01-07-2008, 12:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Winchs and/or lights

The Warn hidden mount works really well. I helped a buddy put one on his '05, easy install of you have 2 people and only hand tools needed.
I would have gone that route, but I went with the Trans4mer in stainless. Even though the grill & brush guard setup is expensive as hell, I've had little bumps off road before bust cheazy plastic grills, light covers, etc. Replacing that cheap plastic from the dealer costs more than buying the stainless steel protection!!!

Old 01-07-2008, 12:56 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

yea that hidden winch mount looks real nice! reminds me of a powerwagon.. btw.. that 9000 pound winch will do pretty good...

Old 01-07-2008, 01:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yea Greggie, you'd be amazed at how much you could pull with a relatively light capacity winch. I've had PLENTY of practice especially in my younger and stupider days.
If you work from the inner rolls of the drum and utilize clevis' and ****** blocks to your advantage you can move a lot more than the rated capacity without burning up your winch...

Old 01-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Broich

I agree w the sweet look of the hidden hitch but no go for the 06 and up! Good to hear about the winch, was a liitle worried about it and burnin' it up being too small. Maybe i'll email Warn and ask if it's gonna get produced...

D

Old 01-07-2008, 10:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yea Broich, us dumb ole' rednecks get stuff stuck so often in our stupid, cocky, "I can go anywhere and not get stuck" younger days, that we learn how to utilize a couple of ****** blocks to make a winch able tohaul twice it's rated capacity at an early age. Hell, my toolbox probably has 75 lbs. of recovery gear in it, but I must be getting old now, I ain't got this truck stuck yet. Had to use it to get the ATV unstuck a few times though.

We had this discussion on an off-road forum maybe a year ago and someone said that there was a pretty good guide in .pdf format on the Warn site. I've not seen it but you may want to check it out and/or printit...

Was kinda thinkin' about maybe doing a "sticky" of off road recovery gear you should carry and techniques for this forum. We'll have to see if anyone's got any interest and maybe I'll do it. Although Greggie might get mad, he's the "sticky king"...

Old 01-07-2008, 10:57 PM
rebelz99
Professional

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71

Yea Broich, us dumb ole' rednecks get stuff stuck so often in our stupid, cocky, "I can go anywhere and not get stuck" younger days, that we learn how to utilize a couple of ****** blocks to make a winch able to tow twice it's rated capacity at an early age. Hell, my toolbox probably has 75 lbs. of recovery gear in it, but I must be getting old now, I ain't got this truck stuck yet. Had to use it to get the ATV unstuck a few times though.

We had this discussion on an off-road forum maybe a year ago and someone said that there was a pretty good guide in .pdf format on the Warn site. I've not seen it but you may want to check it out and/or printit...

Was kinda thinkin' about maybe doing a "sticky" of off road recovery gear you should carry and techniques for this forum. We'll have to see if anyone's got any interest and maybe I'll do it. Although Greggie might get mad, he's the "sticky king"...
Hey hammer, I'm interested in knowing some good tricks, never got stuck with the dirt bike but with the 6000lbs ram, i think its bound to happen. Don 't worry about greggie, if he ever decide's to put his ram in some real mud, he'll probably the first one using your sticky, LOL.....

Old 01-07-2008, 11:25 PM
Broich

Yeah i've got the TJ stuck pretty good sometimes, buti can't bring myself to kick the crap outta the nice new truck like i did my TJ. Way to nice. Hopefully Warn will make the hidden for us newer year guys...

D

Old 01-08-2008, 08:27 PM
Broich

Warn said they had no interest in producing the hidden piece for 06 and up. Only option is the trans4mer route. Might have to look at welding some thing up for the frame and current winch mounting plate setup...

Will dodge be pissed and void warrenty if something is attached to frame at front? Welded or bolted?

D

Old 01-08-2008, 09:22 PM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: HammerZ71
I would like to know more.

Shhh... be quiet or some TD guy will start it for you.

Quick Reply: Winchs and/or lights