3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Wheels You Like ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 10:17 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Which Wheels You Like ??

That doesn't surprise me, the next set of wheels I get will be chrome, probably the DC1's. My Mickey Thompsons are great, but the polished aluminum w/clear coat are a lot of work to keep looking new. The sun in Fl. really wants to turn that clearcoat milky on me. After the 1st two years of trying every product I finally found one that takes that chalky/milky color out and has them looking like new. I thinks it's a Maguire's product, I'll have to look at it when I get home from work. Even with that, it still takes a lot of elbow grease, I use the deals that go on a drill and found that makes me not have to give up half a day every month or so to deal with the wheels. Now I spend maybe 20 miniutes or so per wheel about once a month and they look close to the day I bought them.
As Mickey Thompson and Dick Cepek are one and the same, I'll bet that's the issue.

Mikey: I don't have the ratings, you might check their website. I can tell you thatthe first set I put on my truck were 33" Mickey Thompson MTXs, an all-terrain and when I did the lift and took those tires off they had 29k miles on them and showed absolutely no signs of wear yet! I actually sold them used for more almost 60% of what I paid for them new because they were in such great shape. If they lost any tread at all, it was just fractions of an inch. My current Dick Cepeks have about 8k on them and if I clean them real well, I'm sure I could convince someone that I put them on new yesterday.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 AM
06Mopar
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats why i have been leaning toward black or chrome wheels... Polished wheels are just a pain to take care of... So HammerZ71 can your buddy sale the DC1's for a good price??

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 AM
06Mopar
Professional

Man the Chrome Dick Cepeks Sure look Good!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/51684/A423DE2451A24AB0A494AD1C66EFAF88.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2008, 11:00 AM
tracielynn

Well, I know I have seen y'all say different things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers....I just put them on my truck last week. I like them. I got the 305 50 20.

I read a lot of reviews on them and most were good.

Tracielynn

Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 06Mopar

Thats why i have been leaning toward black or chrome wheels... Polished wheels are just a pain to take care of... So HammerZ71 can your buddy sale the DC1's for a good price??
Nope... He's a small town tire and auto repair business where I used to live. Two locations, one on each end of town. I only get deals because I used to be the technology consultant for the county and met him because he had the county tire & vehicle repair contract. I did computer work for him and networked the two locations when he bought out the guy that owned the second one. So we bartered on my original Mickey MTX tires and Classic II wheels. That's also where I used his shop/lift and the help of his son (a hunting/ATV buddy of mine) to do my suspension lift. He also sold me my 35" Cepek's for about $10 each over his cost, but he's too small time to do enough volume to compete with the online guys. I tried to get tires before for a friend and by the time he makes enough to make anything and shipping, etc. he's no better than you can do through anyplace else.
Sorry I can't help ya' there, I guess you just gotta know somebody...

Old 01-08-2008, 11:22 AM
06Mopar
Professional

Well in most cases thats the way it goes.... It's all about who you know....haha...

Tracielynn
The Nitto Terra Grapplers i havent really heard anything bad about but a friend of mine bought the nitto's that have the flame look in the tread and they didnt last anytime at all...

Old 01-08-2008, 01:01 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: tracielynn

Well, I know I have seen y'all say different things about the Nitto Terra Grapplers....I just put them on my truck last week. I like them. I got the 305 50 20.

I read a lot of reviews on them and most were good.

Tracielynn
Have not heard too many bad things about them, but I do know for a fact that the Mud Grapplers, althoughone of the bestin the mud when they have good tread, wear VERY quickly on pavement. The Terra's havea completely different tread and maybe even a different compound socould beyou'll see longer life on those...

Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 AM
proqual

Motto Metal 951, one of the best looking wheels made today. Maybe its just me but the KMC ROCK STAR is a trick wheel if you are looking at a black wheel. I have ordered the Moto Metal 951 chrome for the 03 2500 quad cab.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:15 AM
05Hemi4auburn

Hello,
Sort of new to the forum, at least posting. I have an '05 1500 with 33's and Moto Metal 951's which were on it when I bought it in June '07. The 33's are Pro Comp Mud Terrains and they have around 20k miles on them and I'd say they have at least 10 more to go (at least for me, I'm so broke because of the 12mpg's, I'm going to drive 'em to the onion peels).I'vekept them rotated about every 5-7 thousand miles though, they like to cup up front.
Anyways,the pro comps are like any GOOD mud tire. The rubber composition is of much softer material in order to get a good grip in MUD, which is what they're good for. You don't see anybody that buys boggers complaining about highway wear, because that's not what they're made for. I've put my truck off road quite a few times in the 6 months I've owned it and love the grip of the Mud Terrains from Pro Comp, but I'm going back with an A/T when I have to replace them since most of the miles will be racked up on the hwy.
Another thing, I cut one of the back tires and ended up getting a used Cepek Fun Country II. It holds it's own off road. I joke about it being outnumbered and has to pull harder to stick up for itself lol.

By the way, love the forum, gotten a lot of good info and tips. Thanks.

Here's my truck, hope you like it. I love it!!! (maybe I can figure out how to post the pic)

[IMG]local://upfiles/62932/4C476D8839CA4ADD86542D8AAF8EA2A9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-09-2008, 09:15 AM
06Mopar
Professional

Well right now i have narrowed it down to either the Dick Cepek chrome's, or the Moto Metal 951 chrome's... Im hoping which ever i choose that they will stick out past my fenders some.. I think it just makes a 4x4 look better with some tire sticking out....

[IMG]local://upfiles/51684/948F7E38042A4D4CB500FC021391D233.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/51684/21EBAB7951D9467BB8DA85CCADEF0CC0.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Which Wheels You Like ??