3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dodge Ram...most overpriced?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:24 PM
nemesisprogram
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dodge Ram...most overpriced?

Wouldent know I bought my 05 Ram from a private party and only paid $10 grand ..with only 24k miles

Old 01-08-2008, 08:47 PM
6 hemi ram
Professional

it doesnt make any sense to me. the wife got me an 06Colts blue hemi ram quad cab for christmas last year and paid 25k. then the dealer put on BFG 33s, line Xed the bed, limted slip rear, custom tow hooks on the front, and a class III reese hitch all at no extra cost. ifeel this is a great price for a 4x4 decked out. especially compared to the other junk available out there for around 40k comparably equipped.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:04 PM
nemesisprogram
Veteran

true

Old 01-08-2008, 10:36 PM
kenny c

Like 08Hemi said... it is a good time to buy...

I just got an 08 mega cab, 4x4, hemi for $26,4xx out the door. (bed liner, tinted windows, first 3 oil changes free) Sticker was $38,xxx

Old 01-08-2008, 11:14 PM
whiteonrice
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, Dodge was by far the cheapest new truck I could find. Just bought a new 07 QC Hemi SLT with a sticker of $32,765 for $18,500 plus T&L. Had some nice add ons like the foglights, power seat, auto dimming mirror and the bucket seats with the center console. Ford or Chevy couldn't even come close. I'm happy.

Rick

Old 01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
04RamSLT

my cousin just bought an 07 QC 4.7L 6Sp 4x4 for 21000 with 31 miles on it...where i bought mine 2 years old with 24,000 in 06 and its a 4.7 5sp QC and it was 19.9k i kinda think ive been hosed now ;> specialy when at 60 he pulls 20mpg not by the lie o meter but by mileage of odometer and gallons calculation where i do 60 in my 04 4.7 5sp and get 13.5...kinda pisses me off heh but i guess like i said i was hosed and he doesnt even have great credit i had a 5star cosigner and he still pays less a month than i do...**** on dealerships hose one guy with great credit and a 5star cosigner and treat the bad credit like a kinda grrrrrr... i even had employee discount on my truck cause my mom worked at the dealership we bought my truck from.....just enough to **** you off

Old 01-09-2008, 06:43 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Chrysler has told Wall Street analysts
that it makes high ($10,000 to $15,000) profits on 'loaded' pickups
and there is further evidence of these high markups
when you look at the very low prices
fleet buyers like Duke Energy Company
have paid for 'base' pickup trucks
where the V6 and transmission only costs less than
a few hundred dollars than the V8s and larger driveline components.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:15 AM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RamWood

NEVER buy ANY vehicle from a dealership. I don't think they are eveil people or out to get me, but why the hell should I pay someone elses salary in profit when I buy a car? I know we all have to make a living but I just don't see what a dealership does for me to automaticaly increase the value of a truck simply because I found it on their lot and not in the paper/internet? just my .02

correction:

I guess if you wanted a NEW vehicle then you really have no other options.
Wow..... This really got me fired up. I am no longer a car salesman, but I can tell you what a dealership does. They INVEST their money in an INVENTORY so that you can SEE the multiple options that are available. Do you think auto makers loan the dealer the cars until they sell. Of course not, the dealer pays for the vehicles on the front end. Moreover, a car salesman (at least a good one that takes pride in what he does) spends about 70 hrs a week at the dealership, not only serving customers, but also studying products, trim packages, ever changing incentives, and working with the finance department to help finance those with bad credit. I also helped most of my customers find a great deal on insurance, too. I would often be able to call an insurance rep and have them at my office before we even signed the paperwork. After doing this a coupledozen times, Iknew who gave thebest pricesin specific situations.This way there would be no surprises when it came to insurance. I even lost a couple of deals this way, but I did not care because my customer would have been in financial distress had we not taken such action.

A car salesman's goal is not to screw a customer. If we do that, then we will never see return business, which will make a salesmans career very short. Our desire is to find a vehicle with the features that you want for a price that is satisfactory to you. If you think you are not getting the best deal, make a better offer. The sales manager, while wanting his sales people to make fair commissions, wants to move NEW cars more. Ask to see the invoice, even. Most sales managers are willing to show this to you...if they are not, then you have room for concern.

Additionally, on almost EVERY new car I sold, the commission was the minimum that the dealership would pay($100 or $200). (the only car i did not make a "mini-deal" was a Mazda Speed3 Turbocharged 5sp that are rare & went for sticker) Car salesmen make their money on selling used cars. With used cars, we can buy them wholesale for well under book value. This way we can give the customer a good deal and still make some money.

Finally, The dealerships havevery littlecontrol over what they pay for new vehicles. A profit cap is already applied, as the sticker price with the MSRP comes on the vehicle when it comes from the plant. Remember, you are not only paying the car salesman, but you are paying the detail shop that keep the cars clean (and detail your car before you take delivery), the lot porters who move and maintain the inventory on the lot (preventing from dead batteries & flat spots on tires, and making vehicles easy to find), the truck driver who delivered the vehicle from the factory, the people to staff the office to file your paperwork and get your tags, and a plethora of other people involved in making your purchase as easy as possible.

BTW, welcome to our capitalist society where every dollar that you spend goes to pay someones salary. {GDP = C + I + G + (X-M)}

I am not trying to be a jerk, but the car industry has changed a lot, mostly due to the internet, as consumers are more informed about their purchases. There are even places that you can see average dealer invoice costs, so you can know the markup before you even step foot on the lot.

Sorry for the long post. I had a lot to say, I guess.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:39 PM
08Hemi

"Please tell me that your truck is two wheel drive because that seem's insane 21k for a loaded qc 5.7 "

Ya, mine is the 2x4 QC SB Hemi Big Horn edition

But if I remember correctly the 4x4 was going to be only 2k more. That would mean about 23k

Ridiculously cheap.

And to top it off I got about 2500 morein trade in than I was expecting. I was hoping for 10k on trade and got 12,500

After T.T.L. I think I financed around 11k. What a joke. My previous car was only 20 months old. The price of my new Ram was so cheap that even my wife didn't bitch when I told her I was going to buy another car so soon.

Every morning I give myself a "high five" when I see the truck.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:56 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I paid $20k for my 2003 last July and it doesn't bother me one bit. It had to be 4x4, Laramie, white w/ black leather, and spotless. This one was; one owner, a daily driver (no offroading), etc, etc. The only other fitting that criteria was in Miami and I didn't feel like driving 700 miles.

I can buy the same thing brand new for $33k + TTL. Not a bad deal, but with two cars I chose the cheaper one. I don't feel slighted at all, and I don't plan to sell the truck for a very long time.

Quick Reply: Dodge Ram...most overpriced?