3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Ram owner here..I have a few ?s

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008 | 09:58 PM
Importkillaz
|
Rookie
Default New Ram owner here..I have a few ?s

Hi guys. I just bought a 03 Ram 1500 reg cab(5.7L HEMI) today. To be honest, when I stomped that gas, I was utterly shocked to see how fast it was..I have a Vette but the this thing pulls for hard fora truck. I thinkthis thing could spank a few cars or two.I have some questions as to where to go for aftermarket accessories for it. Some things I would like are to add are

1. Nice CAI kit
2. Exhaust
3. Headers
5. Aftermarket radio/speakers
6. Larger rims

I live in So Cal, so if you guys could provide me with some web links, that would be great. Thanks in advance fellas!![sm=smiley20.gif]

Old 01-08-2008 | 10:12 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Default RE: New Ram owner here..I have a few ?s

Mine has a TrueFlow intake. They have an "XDI" that supposedly has more uumph, and radical sound. My Magnaflows sound good with no drone and add some power (so I'm told). Go long-tube headers or leave it alone. My JVC 780 HU and CHX-1500 changer do a good job. Jensen 6x9s and 5 1/4s sound decent. I may add a sub and amp this spring. The music I listen to could benefit. When you say "larger" rims, do you mean diameter or width? Be careful with width -- you can hurt wheel bearings and spindles if you get wheels with a radical offset. Backspacing can interfere with steering/suspension components. If you want the best pricing on "stuff", do your homework -- the best price may not be accompanied by knowledgable support.

Old 01-08-2008 | 10:32 PM
Importkillaz
|
Rookie

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

Mine has a TrueFlow intake. They have an "XDI" that supposedly has more uumph, and radical sound. My Magnaflows sound good with no drone and add some power (so I'm told). Go long-tube headers or leave it alone. My JVC 780 HU and CHX-1500 changer do a good job. Jensen 6x9s and 5 1/4s sound decent. I may add a sub and amp this spring. The music I listen to could benefit. When you say "larger" rims, do you mean diameter or width? Be careful with width -- you can hurt wheel bearings and spindles if you get wheels with a radical offset. Backspacing can interfere with steering/suspension components. If you want the best pricing on "stuff", do your homework -- the best price may not be accompanied by knowledgable support.
Thanks Mike. You seem very knowledgeable and your input is greatly appreciated. You comments have been noted.

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:20 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

1. Nice CAI kit
I reccomend the trueflow! they are available at a few places... i believe summit has them and i got mine off amazon... wierd i know! lol

2. Exhaust

MAGNAFLOW i love my magnaflow system flows great and sounds even better!! a full catback system all stainless available online... i would try planetmagnaflow.com or something... there is a link on magnaflows site also summit has them too! just not as cheap
3. Headers

Pacesetter Longtubes... best set for the price so I'm told... they wont work on my truck
5. Aftermarket radio/speakers

Crutchfield!! go to their site they have plenty of gear great prices and excellent customer service.
6. Larger rims
tons of sites... what kinda larger rims?

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

1) Most people run either TruFlow XDI or K&N, gains on the dyno are pretty much the same, at least close enough that you won't feel the difference.
2) Flowmaster has the best sound, Magnaflow or Dynomax for best flow, keep the cats for back pressure/low end torque if you are thinking headers...
3) Dynotech Lt's have the best gains on the dyno, but the Pacesetters are a close second and you could just about get three sets with ceramic coating for the price of the Dynotech's. I have the Pacesetters with a custom ceramic coat I had done at a local coating shop and could not be happier.
I'm gonna defer the radio & rims stuff to others who are more into that than I am.
Let me add however, that if your contemplating the above, then you need to look at a tuner, such as the Superchips and a set of 4.56 gears. The tuner will really tie in those other mods plus really firm up the tranny shifts and if you think that thing launches off the line with those stock gears (probably 3.55s or hopefully 3.92s) wait till you feel that thing get up and go with a set of 4.56s in that pumpkin!!!

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:11 AM
kx250frider617
Record Breaker

what part of socal becuase i Huntington beach theres a chop called high roller motorsports or Orange county desiel that can do anything to trucks.

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:19 AM
virginiaram

i would not recommend the pacesetters at all. when i was shopping for headers, i found that there were a lot of complaints about the pacesetters. lots of flange mating issues and weld issues. i couldnt believe that any of it could be true because of how long the company had been around............so i bought a set. i was lucky enough to have both issues. the flanges didnt mate up with the bolt holes correctly, and some of the welds were incomplete. luckly my best friend is an awesome welder and he fixed them up for me. then i just hollowed out the holes to fit the bolts in and get it bolted to the block.

Old 01-09-2008 | 03:43 AM
Importkillaz
|
Rookie

Okay thanks guys I'm stilltakin notes here.

Old 01-09-2008 | 08:02 AM
killerbud420
Veteran

bullydogpower pup nice programer they claim 30 h/p 50 t/q i got mine offebay anit pretty damn good i think

Old 01-09-2008 | 09:16 AM
Importkillaz
|
Rookie

Btw, what gear differential am I likely to have in a 03 reg Cab Hemi? I hear it could either be 3.55 or 3.92..

Quick Reply: New Ram owner here..I have a few ?s