3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 hemi 1500 fell on its face??????????

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008 | 10:44 PM
jjohnson
Default 04 hemi 1500 fell on its face??????????

hi my name is Jeff and i'm having a problem and i figured i would ask for an opinion. Today my 2004 hemi ram with 21000 miles on fell on its face when I mashed on the throttle to pass a car. This truck is pretty much stock except the air cleaner and remote start. never had any problems before i take care of it like one of my children. i run royal purple in the engine but nothing but stock fluids in everything else. air cleaner is clean, gas cap was secure, half a tank of gas from frequented station. No lights came on . I was able to duplicate this at least three times (good or bad?) and all i can say is that it shifts fine up till you really get on it then it seems to hesitate and lose power 1 or 2 seconds and goes to roughly half output. Also tach seems to go to 4000 Anyway thats about all the info I can think of right now and any responses would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU, JEFF

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Default RE: 04 hemi 1500 fell on its face??????????

Hi Jeff, welcome.
This has been reported a couple of times before. Try a search under the topic "hesitation". If that does not yield anything I'm sure one of the people on here that reported the same problem will see this and respond. It hasn't been that long since someone else posted this issue.

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:16 PM
jjohnson

thanks. I will give it a try. next option for me is to take it in to the dealer here in omaha and see what they conjure up. I dont have much faith after they seemed to have messed up replacing the door seals. again thanks, JEFF

Old 01-08-2008 | 11:38 PM
jjohnson

would a reset be worth a try?

Old 01-09-2008 | 12:00 AM
04RamSLT

reset couldnt hurt nothing i dont know when it came out but the accelerader pedal on some new trucks doesnt have a throttle cable anymore its electricaly judged if u have that that can be the culprit to ive read somewhere around here for fixes i have no idea

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:28 AM
paul bunyan

i have had the same thing happen to me. each time it happened, i would pull over and stop, shut off the truck,etc. then one time I just put it into neutral, then back into drive. problem solved. try that next time it happens to you. it could be as simple as you (no offence!) not getting the shifter into gear correctly, or a shifter position sensor issue. try to be sure you have the "stick"in the "center" of the gear selected. mine would show that it was in "D" when it wasn't completely engaged. I think it freaks out the computer, and just like "N" or "P" positions it won't rev over 4000 rpm.

Old 01-09-2008 | 08:19 AM
jjohnson

thanks for the suggestions will give it a try this morning.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:13 PM
jjohnson

drove truck around today and everything seems fine which pisses me off. Hate not knowing when its going to do that again like when i'm almost around a car and another one oncoming.

Old 01-09-2008 | 02:28 PM
1SlowFormula
Professional

yeah this is strange, I had it happen to me on the way home from work one day a while back and I could reproduce it on command, called the dealership and they were still open, and said they would wait for me to get there, I got there shut the truck off walked in then the tech came out and I drove the truck around the block to try and reproduce it and it didn't happen, and it has only happened once since then and went away after shutting the truck off and restarting it...

I will tell you what though it was scarry as crap when it happeend because I was accelerating to merge into traffic when mine first fell on its face like that...

Old 01-09-2008 | 05:09 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Just a hunch, but the next time one of you guys is at the dealer, ask them if your PCM has the latest software update. I seem to recall someone either on here or another forum having the problem and the dealer said they had an older program on the PCM that had since been updated not once but twice to fix minor issues. I don't recall if it fixed the issue, but the guy said the service manager had seen the problem before and that the update fixes it.
It can't hurt to ask, besides, even if it doesn't fix THIS issue, you should have your PCM updated if there is a newer tune. There's a reason Chrysler updates the software...

Quick Reply: 04 hemi 1500 fell on its face??????????