3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine Whistle

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 02:19 PM
tjames2978
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Whistle

I have over 117,000 miles on my 02 1500. I maintain it religiously and never had any major repairs. It runs almost like day one, but now I am noticing a bit of a hissing or whistling noise. We looked at it last night and it doesn't seem to be the belt.It's pretty faint or non-existent when idling, but you hear it follow the early acceleration and there is a bit of a remaining slight hissing or whistling noisewhen you turn the ignition off. It almost seems like the fan or even the alternator.

Since I have not had many problems with the truck in the past, has anyone had something similar. I do believe it could be the beginning of the alternator taking a crap, but any other suggestions or insight?

Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Engine Whistle

Small vacuum leak, which could be anywhere considering the age.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:59 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tjames2978

I have over 117,000 miles on my 02 1500. I maintain it religiously and never had any major repairs. It runs almost like day one, but now I am noticing a bit of a hissing or whistling noise. We looked at it last night and it doesn't seem to be the belt.It's pretty faint or non-existent when idling, but you hear it follow the early acceleration and there is a bit of a remaining slight hissing or whistling noisewhen you turn the ignition off. It almost seems like the fan or even the alternator.

Since I have not had many problems with the truck in the past, has anyone had something similar. I do believe it could be the beginning of the alternator taking a crap, but any other suggestions or insight?
Maybe there's a cute little Ramette nearby? Sorry, getting delirious. My '03 has a whistle when I turn it off anytime I've used the A/C. The manual mentions that. Can there be a vacuum leak after it's shut down? I'd guess something cooling system related. Radiator cap, or a hose?

Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 PM
sddunn2
Professional

+1 with 94rt10ohio the his after it is shut down could be comeing from a vacuum pod ?? just a thought

Old 01-10-2008, 12:14 AM
BigHorned
Amateur

Could be anything but since you hear it when you shut the truck off, try stepping on your brake pedal about 1 minute after the engine is off. If it is a hard pedal on the first push, check the booster for a leak or the vacuum line to it. Sometimes the rubber grommet develops cracks that allow it to leak. An unsafe way but quick way is to let the truck idle and spray WD-40 along your vacuum lines on the top of the engine and such. There should be a change in idle if you come acrossa cracked vacuum line. I use starting fluid to check but that is really risky and I'm stupid sometimes.

Quick Reply: Engine Whistle