3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

02 Ram locked in security mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 09:48 PM
neyc20
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Ram locked in security mode

I've found useful info in the past on DF thought i'd try again with my latest issue.
I have a 2002 Ram 1500 pickup thatI believe is locked in security mode.
Nothing happens at all when I try to start it. No ignition, headlights, dome lights,windows,locks,etc.The only sign of life is the red flashingdash light.
I've tried disconnecting the battery fora couple hours-no change. I've tried charging the battery-no change.
I'm toldessentially my key and my truck aren't communicating. Any thoughts, tips, tricksor is this a dealer only fix.
Thanks for any help on this!

Old 01-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Dodge Tech
Captain
Default RE: 02 Ram locked in security mode

lets see if i get this stright no start no headlights,windows door locks correct? and as for as the key U must have a gray key yes?
well who ever u took it to has not got a single clue to how an alarm system works. It will only shut off the fuel or starter kill windows and everything else is not part of it. If u have an new style 1500 I would look tward the Fuse box or front controler have it scanned unless u like spending money and guessing.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:05 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an 89 IROC that did the same thing. Turned out a wire had broken in the ingition switch that ran to the sensor to check the resistance in the key to disable the "security lock". On my IROC it was two very small yellow wires exiting the column. I spliced in the chip on my other key at the bottom and it started right up. Unfortunatly the chip is not exposed on the Dodge key and I do not know what color wires are used in this application.

Old 01-09-2008, 10:27 PM
neyc20

Thanks for the reply. Yes gray key. I'll check fuses. If not sounds like a trip on the hook to the dealer. Thanks for the insight.

Quick Reply: 02 Ram locked in security mode