3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

factory LSD

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Ben D.
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default factory LSD

we all know the factory lsd i the 9.25 is a issue with the rams. you all saw the thread where i plan on ordering a 08 ram in the next few weeks depending on how dealers act. I want to try to aviod teh cclip deal. if i order a truck without the "anti spin diff" will that mean I won't have to deal with the LSD

Old 01-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Redram05baby
Default RE: factory LSD

Don't Have An Answer For You Myself. But When I Did My 4.56's Just By looking At My LSD Compaired To The One I INSTALLED In My Jeep, It Scared Me. I Just Am Curious If My LSD Goes Out Under Warranty If They Are Smart Enough To Realize... "Hey Thats Not A 3.55!"

Old 01-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Ben D.
Champion

I'm not really too worried if it has it. because just like you did I will plan on moving up from 3.92 to 4.11 or 4.56. but if I could avoid it from the beginning why not. know what I mean. I just see in the options menu on dodge.com that you can select anti spin diff. I figure that must be the LSD so yea if I can not get it then w00t w00t

Old 01-10-2008, 04:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Ben D.

we all know the factory lsd i the 9.25 is a issue with the rams. you all saw the thread where i plan on ordering a 08 ram in the next few weeks depending on how dealers act. I want to try to aviod teh cclip deal. if i order a truck without the "anti spin diff" will that mean I won't have to deal with the LSD
If you don't get the factory LSD, you would be immune to the C-Clip issue. That said, the LSD doesn't seem to be an issue with the newer trucks. It's a ticking time bomb in the 02-05s, but I don't seem to recall many with the 06s and newer having the issue. It's the same part number, but they may have fixed it or are using a different manufacturer. I don't know. It seems that there should be some 06 people with enough miles on them to start seeing them implode. However, I do know a few with the older trucks who've had them replaced under warranty recently and have had the replacement blow up. You would think if they changed to a new one they would be using that for the replacement. So I'm not so sure I would trust it still if it were me. Besides, even if the issue is fixed, Dodge LSDs traditionally don't perform that well anyway, even when they don't shred apart. So, if it were me, I'd order mine without the factory LSD and plan on putting a good aftermarket unit in at some point down the road. I'd just rather pony upa little extra for the performance.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Redram05baby

Not My post But Thanks For The input Hammer... I Will Look Into Doing That.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:21 PM
MoparMan61L

At our dealership we have not had any issues with the 06 and up LSD. I ordered my 07 without one just to be safe but if I had it to do over I would feel comfortable ordering one. Especially with Lifetime warranty!

Old 01-10-2008, 10:05 PM
Ben D.
Champion

when u ordered it did you just not select "anti spin rear" or is there something else i need to do to not have the factory LSD. I figure you're probably right hammer. not a big issue on newer trucks but why not just not get it and upgrade to a good aftermarket unit down the road

Old 01-10-2008, 11:52 PM
Redram05baby

So I Have A ?... DoI Take It In Now. Or DO I Have To Wait For It To Explode.... And Does The New One Have A Better Build?

Quick Reply: factory LSD