3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone use this amp before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008 | 07:33 AM
smokinjoe
|
Rookie
Default anyone use this amp before?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DODGE-RAM-SUB-BO...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm thinking about getting this setup off of the bay for the dodge, i know that you get what you pay for. i'm just looking for some bass not comp class gear, the box and subs don't really concern me, i am more concerned about the amp, has anyone ever used this brand? or even heard of it? i was only thinking about this because it comes as a setup already, i don't have to go looking for parts on my own. opinions welcome

Old 01-10-2008 | 08:46 AM
mfs212
Captain
Default RE: anyone use this amp before?

None of that is great gear.... The Kicker subs are the lowest line the sell, and the rest of that is cheapo gear. That box may not fit right if you do not take the carpet from under the seats out. I have heard this to be a problem on this forum and others. I went with the Fox Acoustics box, and I got it for $150 after shipping. Joe Fox is a ram driver, and designed the prototype of my box for his own truck.

That amp is the same as they sell in the pawn shops around here, if that gives you any bearing as to the location of this amp on the scale of quality. For about the same price, you can put together a box, amp, & subs.... and you will have better sound and more reliability than this gear, IMHO...

Remeber you still have to get an installation kit.

HAH, just read the stats...1800w AMP my ***.....it is only 300w RMS @ 4...

Since you are not wanting rediculous SPL's I am going to spare you the reccomendation of making your own box. I like the foxbox because it looks good, is discreet, and is easy to take in and out if I need.

Here is my set up (without the back seat)
Name:  Truck.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  128.3 KB

Old 01-10-2008 | 09:11 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser

Like mfs mentioned, that stuff is a little on the cheap side. Even if you listen to rock, you still will run into problem. The speakers are good enough for you as long as you don't listen at full power. These kind of speakers are just for sound enhancement. You would probably be better off buying a box from someone else and buying the components separtely. It will be worth it to spend the xtra $200 (maybe less) and have a system that won't overheat or blow up. BTW, this is what I am think about that amp when I look at it. Doesn't look like it it vented to well, which means that you will have to put it somewhere where air will reach it real good and to have a separate bass control, that worries me as well. I would keep looking. There are members on here all the time selling there quad cab systems with better products and in the smae price range.

Think of it this way. Once you ungrade your system to whatever. It will be hard to listen to it if the amp or speakers go out because you will be used to the extra sound produced. You will run into problems if you buy a cheap amp.

Old 01-10-2008 | 12:30 PM
Ben D.
Champion

the kicker comps are great subs. they arn't really cheap. they just arn't meant for high power applications. they are only meant for 150 rms watts a piece. but they have good sq and they can hit pretty hard. that being said that amp is a big POS. no way does it put out 1800w lol.

the box looks ok but like mfs said it might not fit without the carpet being gone which would suck. I like his fox box. I've never seen one like that before and it looks bitchin. l and r is also making a good ponit about ventalation fro the amp.

Old 01-10-2008 | 12:53 PM
mfs212
Captain

Thanks for the compliment Ben!

Yea, there is nothing wrong with those kickers. Kicker makes a good product, I was just noting that this line is the lowest power handling that they offer. But again, you would be much happier going a different route for about the same price. You can still get the kickers, I had some JL w0's in the box with about the same power handling (before I got the w6AE's)and it sounded great. Directed, Concept, and Kicker make good amps at a fairly inexpensive price. Should be pretty easy to peice a system together on the bay.... I'm in the club hollin e-bay bay..e-bay bay...

Joe, are you running all stock equipment right now?

I wish Dodge would say that we have 1800 peak hp....lol

Old 01-10-2008 | 04:26 PM
Ben D.
Champion

lol hey u earned that set up is killer. I've never seen that fox box before you had it. all the other ones I have seen looked fragile compared to that thing. it looks like you could stomp on that box and it would just shrug it off.

Old 01-10-2008 | 04:43 PM
mfs212
Captain

Man, it is very well constructed, and clearly a lot of care was used in making sure it is sealed at the seams.I was really impressed when I got it.