3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling an 04 1500

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:29 PM
Kalashnikov
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling an 04 1500

I'm pretty sure my truck needs to be leveled, but I understand that the only way to do it on an 04 1500 is to adjust the torsion bars.

1) Is this bad for the trucks suspension?
2) Is it going to stiffen up the ride?
3) Would an allignment shop do it, (are they going to tell me I'm an idiot, or is this common)? Obviously it would need to ba re-alligned.
4) Anything else I should be cncerned about?

I tweaked the bars on my '74 Dart in high school and made 2-1/2" blocks for the back. It probably had about 2" of clearance! I never bothered to get it re-alligned though and it went through used tires like nobody's business!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:29 PM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Leveling an 04

I am fixing to level mine. Got the parts today. I got a kit that came with new keys and shock spacers. I chose to go this route because I have read it keeps your ride more stock.
Just tightening them will make it ride little rougher. It will stretch out your shocks and cause them to top out over bumps. Not a big deal really, you can get longer shocks. Also read that as long as you keep it at or under 2 1/2" the parts will be fine.
Hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2008, 08:49 PM
killerbud420
Veteran

moparmutt where would i do the adjusting at to my torsion barsto drop it a lilbit why i was under my truck weldin abroke muffler hanger an i was checkin it out an the only bolt i seen was the bolt to look to be the one totake it off??? i know this dont help you but i ask somethingsome whatlike this an i got no help

Old 01-10-2008, 09:27 PM
moparmutt
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're midway of the doors. Just find the bars and at the end there is a bolt standing straight up. That is the adjustment bolt. Just don't back it off all the way there is alot of tension on them.
Hope that helps.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:23 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: Kalashnikov

I'm pretty sure my truck needs to be leveled, but I understand that the only way to do it on an 04 1500 is to adjust the torsion bars.

1) Is this bad for the trucks suspension?
2) Is it going to stiffen up the ride?
3) Would an allignment shop do it, (are they going to tell me I'm an idiot, or is this common)? Obviously it would need to ba re-alligned.
4) Anything else I should be cncerned about?
1) Not bad if you don't get crazy with it. An inch and a half or so won't hurt anything.
2) Yes, the higher you crank 'em, the stiffer the ride.
3) Probably not, but you could ask. It's easy for you to do in the driveway though and it should be re-aligned, but some who only crank a little don't and usually don't report any issues.
4) No real other concerns, but you could also use a level kit to level it. It basically consists on new keys that will give you about 1.5-2" of front end lift.

Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Kalashnikov
Rookie

Thanks for the replies! I fount the Tuff Country kit online for like $120. Do I really need that special tool to do the install? I need to get under there and check it out, but its too wet!!

Old 01-12-2008, 12:25 PM
Kalashnikov
Rookie

So, do I need this tool?

Old 01-12-2008, 01:04 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I believe the tool required is a Torsion Bar Unloading Tool. I've not installed keys on a T-Bar truck, I've only done a full suspension lift and I've helped a couple of guys crank their torsion bars. But, from what I've read on posts by people who have done it themselves is that the tool is not 100% necessary, but VERY helpful. I can recall a post by a guy who did one side and it took most of the day and a ton of sweat and labor. He then rented the tool from his local auto parts store and did the other side the following day in like 1/4 of the time and a lot less grunt work on his part.
It may be very much to your advantage to inquire at some local auto parts stores regarding the availibility of renting the tool. A singe day rental on such tools is usually very inexpensive.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Kalashnikov
Rookie

Thanks Hammer, you da man!

Old 01-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Kalashnikov
Rookie

So I talked to a shop here in town and they won't install the keys (not that I couldn't do it myself, I just called to see what they would charge) They say it puts "too uch added stress on the front end components"

What is the real deal here? am I going to "F" up my truck if I put these on? I don't do any off roading or anything. I really want to level this truck, but don't want to ruin it in the process. Hammer, what do you think?

Quick Reply: Leveling an 04 1500