3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tips on parking and driving a long bed, quad cab

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:24 PM
Zack1978
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tips on parking and driving a long bed, quad cab

Hey everyone,
So for those of you that drive long bed, quad cabs what tips do you have for parking and driving? Do you usually park far away and walk? What about fitting into tight spots? Is the long bed annoying to drive on a daily basis? Any feedback?

Thanks,
Zack

Old 01-12-2008, 01:28 PM
herring_jerritt
Veteran
Default RE: Tips on parking and driving a long bed, quad cab

dont be in a hurry, and swing it wide. if the space looks too small then just skip it cause a close spot is not worth a dint in your truck

Old 01-12-2008, 01:29 PM
livetokite
Veteran

my quad cab isn't to bad.. but i do have trouble getting into small spots or when the people next to me park sh**y

i've accadently hit someone backing into a spot [:@]

but i've learned that if you can back in it makes life so much easier, find spots with no cars on the other side and then theres no chance of you hitting them when backing in.. or spots with no parking behind it. makes it so much easier to get out, and also getting in is easier too.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:39 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When ever I drive a larger truck / trailer than I'm used to, I walk arround all 4 cornors to get a visual referance for what I'm driving.

Than get in ,adjust your mirrors and drive it.

A quad cab long box is only three feet longer than a quad cab short box, the extra hieght of a 3/4 ton adds some worry when backing up, the bump and tap method will kill most cars.

I have a recieaver hitch and ball on my bumper, I don't practice the bump and tap, but the hitch is a fail safe as it is line with a cars bumper.

As for parcades, just aviod them unless you really know your trucks height.

I find the larger the viecle the easyer it is to drive, the smaller, the harder.

I don't have issues driving a long bed, but be careful when turning right handcornors, you don't want the rear wheals to ride the curb.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:40 PM
kyle_ewing

i always back in to a spot, its so much easier to get in and out. just remember if it looks too small, dont even try it. its not worth a ding.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Kalashnikov
Rookie

I just upgraded from an 81 Toyota, I am even having problems with the short box QC![&:]

I also drive my wifes legacy, which has a super tight turning radius...so I have some adjusting to do!

Old 01-12-2008, 02:17 PM
rebelz99
Professional

I have a 2500 QC LB, and i'm the ******* that takes 4 spots when he parks, lol!!!!
I only park where I can take 2 spots and I do park where no one wants to park. Never had any issue's parking or driving, my truck demands respect on the road and luckily its been givin respect.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:27 PM
chongo
Veteran

I don't mind parking and walking - it's easier and I don't have to worry about people hitting my truck.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:44 PM
JayH2112
Veteran

As someone who grew up learning how to drive in a Ford 15 passenger van, and then having owned a olderF-250 ext cab long bed, I would say give yourself room. Park further out, and back in when possible. After driving those vehicles my QC SB is a piece of cake.

Old 01-12-2008, 02:49 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cyclone429
A quad cab long box is only three feet longer than a quad cab short box, the extra hieght of a 3/4 ton adds some worry when backing up, the bump and tap method will kill most cars.

I have a recieaver hitch and ball on my bumper, I don't practice the bump and tap, but the hitch is a fail safe as it is line with a cars bumper.
The first person I see run into my truck or my car on purpose because it's their "parking method" will suffer severe bodily injury. My bumpers don't need to bear tribute to your poor parking abilities. If you can't drive the yacht you shouldn't have bought it.

Quick Reply: Tips on parking and driving a long bed, quad cab