3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

? about electrical relays

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 09:01 PM
smokinjoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? about electrical relays

I'm not an electrical genius but i can do the work if i understand it. What i would like to set up isthedriving lights i added behind my grill (currently set up on a toggle switch) so that they come on when the stock fog lights come on(rotate headlight switch to parking lights only) with the fog lights, go out when the switch is rotated to headlight, and then come back on with the high beams. the way i figure is that the relay will need to supply the lights with 12v power, close when it gets power from the fog light wire on the rotary switch, open when it gets power from the headlights (either at the switch ir from the headlights themselves)and close again when the high beams activate

What i would like to know is there a single relay that can do this or will i need more than one relay, if someone knows of relay like this or can at least explain it in simple enough terms for me to understand it would be awesome. I can also build a custom relay for myself if it's in terms a child can understand. thanks

Old 01-13-2008, 04:36 AM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: ? about electrical relays

Ok - here goes. You'll need two relays and a tap on the low, high, and fog light wires.

Here's how it'll work in each situation:

Parking/fogs on: current flows through Relay 1 (off state) and triggers Relay 2, activating lights.

Low beam on: even though the fog circuit is still on, the low beam triggers Relay 1, disconnecting the fog signal to Relay 2, turning the lights off. Pin 87 of Relay 1 is connected to nothing.

High beam on: high beam triggers Relay 2 directly, activating lights

The diode prevents the high beam circuit from "backfeeding" into the stock fogs and turning them back on when they're supposed to be off.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:47 AM
smokinjoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: ? about electrical relays

thanks that's pretty helpful, hopefully i'll be able to work on it in the next week or two, right now my little project is installing led's in each of the door handles that turn on wheneach individual door unlocks, i got the drivers door done but the lights aren't very impressive, so i am going to do a little more playing around but need to order some more led's before the others get done.

on a side note how dangerous would it be for the driving lights to back feed into the foglights to power them back up with the highs, i was thinking that if i'm driving around with the highs on i might as well go for having the most light available. around town the lows and fogs are fine but someitmes out in the sticks it's nice to have as much light as possibe, and i'm not going to lie, sometime around town before it gets to dark to need headlights using onlly the fogs and driving lights behind the grill looks neat.

thanks for dumbing that down for me,ive been learning alot about relays and other electronics,a little more brain sweat and some planning and hopefully i'll be able to tackle this, but first i do need to finsh the door hanldles, anyone know of a website that sells led's at a good price other than EBAY?

Quick Reply: ? about electrical relays