3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004 | 11:19 PM
2004 Hemi Quad
Professional
Default RE: Towing

OK, here is my 2 cents, the bumper is rated for 5000 lbs but has a drawback, when towing a trailer, it must be as level as possible, so unless your boat trailer matches up level with the bumper, I would get a receiver type hitch depending on the class rating ( Rams come with a class !V ) it can tow more and allows you to get a drawbar that will allow you to tow the trailer or boat in your case as level as possible. This will give you better control when braking. Just remember that while our truck can tow the weight, there are other safety devices that you will need to help you stay in control like electric brakes if your trailer isn't already equipped with hydraulic surge brakes and you can get stabilizer bars that will also help towing a trailer.

Old 12-07-2004 | 11:21 PM
2004 Hemi Quad
Professional

I forgot, make sure that the hitchball that you use is rated for what you are towing ie: 3500 lbs, 5000 lbs etc

Old 12-07-2004 | 11:28 PM
moparturd
Banned

oh, and disabled Fords and Nissans, No GM product could make it far enough off of the road to get really stuck.
Man, my wife has relatives in St. Louis. When I come up there we need to go have a beer, or a hamburger if you don't drink. You crack me up.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]

The frame mounted hitches are the way to go. I used my Hemi to tow my Coronet to the track for the first time this passed weekend and it was great. I was real concerned about towing my BABY, but it couldn't have gone better. Trailer and car were probably close to 5700#.

Old 12-08-2004 | 12:10 PM
Ram 2002

Thanks for the information everyone!

Old 12-08-2004 | 12:40 PM
GMsucks
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mopartodd

oh, and disabled Fords and Nissans, No GM product could make it far enough off of the road to get really stuck.
Man, my wife has relatives in St. Louis. When I come up there we need to go have a beer, or a hamburger if you don't drink. You crack me up.[sm=icon_rofl.gif]
Beer? I'm sure you meant to say beers, as in at least 5 or 6. Each.

Old 12-08-2004 | 02:11 PM
rakram
Rookie

A receiver hitch is the best. Mine came with the package I ordered on my truck, but most vehicle frames have the holes predrilled and the hitch manufacturer uses the same bolt pattern. Checkout http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/ or the Reese page to find the exact hitch. I have installed an aftermarket hitch in a very short time. Use it for a bike rack mount on family car. Actually took longer to jackup and secure the vehicle than it did to mount the hitch.

Old 12-08-2004 | 08:10 PM
Drew
Professional

ORIGINAL: rakram

A receiver hitch is the best. Mine came with the package I ordered on my truck, but most vehicle frames have the holes predrilled and the hitch manufacturer uses the same bolt pattern. Checkout http://www.drawtite-hitches.com/ or the Reese page to find the exact hitch. I have installed an aftermarket hitch in a very short time. Use it for a bike rack mount on family car. Actually took longer to jackup and secure the vehicle than it did to mount the hitch.

I'll second that, they are easy to install. . .I put one on my toyota since the step bumper isnt rated for people to stand on. it took longer to break the bolts loose from the step bumper than it did to put the thing on, tighten the bolts, and run the wireing for the trailer lights. . .

Quick Reply: Towing