3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Is this a good or great deal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 04:17 PM
APPI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a good or great deal?

I'm getting ready to order my first Dodge and my first new vehcile purchase which I'll be paying cash for.

A good friend of of a good friend of mine is in management at a Dodge dealership and is getting me the following deal, which I believe is a smoking deal.

What do you all think and am I forgetting to include anything in the order.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Edition 4x4

5.7 Hemi MDS

Five-speed Automatic Transmission

Leather Trim 40/20/40 Bench Seat

Trailer Tow Group

Power Sunroof

Rear Window Defogger

Electric Shift on Demand Transfer Case

Anti-spin differential rear axle

6 CDA/full map GPS Display Navigation Radio

Total out the door for this vehicle is $31990.00 plus tax and license, in California 8.25% I think. MSRP is 43,480.00

TIA,

Old 01-15-2008, 04:28 PM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is this a good or great deal?

I think what you are getting there is "the" deal. I think that anybody could get that.

I would say take another 6 grand off. But I'm cheep thats why I bought a used wrecked Ram

but honestly I have not done much pricing on '08 models but a dealership will screw you one way or another. IMO

Old 01-15-2008, 04:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Go to Edmunds.com and price it out. Man, California charges 25% for the priviledge of driving on the road?!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:35 PM
mfs212
Captain

I agree, this is a good deal, but not world changing.... You are still (assuming no GREEN trade in or $down,but 0%apr) paying almost $600/mo. And the finance guy is going to try to sell your interest rate up a couple of points, so they can make some profit on the back end. Ask to see the invoice!

Also, BUY GAP!!!! If you are buying a new vehicle, buy gap insurance. It makes almost no difference in your payments, but if you total the truck in the first 3 years, you will be screwed.This covers the difference between what your insurance company "thinks your truck was worth before you wrecked it" and the actual payoff...hence the term gap (even though some stealerships call it Guaranteed Asset Protection)

EDIT>>>sorry, I completely overread where you said that you were paying cash...This does not apply.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
mfs212
Captain

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

Go to Edmunds.com and price it out. Man, California charges 25% for the priviledge of driving on the road?!
I am pretty sure that is 8.25%...not as bad as our 9.25% here in good ole Sh*thole TN

Old 01-15-2008, 04:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

What's the price on the sticker? How much off of it is he giving you? I personally know someone who got an '07 in July, similarly equipped except for maybe the nav. system and paid $26,995 for it and the sticker price on the window was about $38k...
Ten to eleven grand off the sticker price was about normal towards the end of the '07 model year and many on this and other Dodge forums were reporting similar savings.
Hell, I looked at a new '07 4x4 CTD that had a sticker of $43k I could have gotten for $33k, but I'd have taken too much of a beating on my Hemi after putting almost $8,000 in mods into.

It's hard to say what kind of deal you are getting without knowing what's the MSRP. I'd be inclined to say, though, if your deal is not more than $10k off the sticker price, then it's no better a deal than Joe Blow could get, walking in off the street...

Old 01-15-2008, 04:43 PM
APPI
Rookie

MSRP is 43,480.00

Old 01-15-2008, 04:46 PM
APPI
Rookie

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

My bad, sales tax is about 8.25.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:47 PM
APPI
Rookie

ORIGINAL: mfs212

I agree, this is a good deal, but not world changing.... You are still (assuming no GREEN trade in or $down,but 0%apr) paying almost $600/mo. And the finance guy is going to try to sell your interest rate up a couple of points, so they can make some profit on the back end. Ask to see the invoice!

Also, BUY GAP!!!! If you are buying a new vehicle, buy gap insurance. It makes almost no difference in your payments, but if you total the truck in the first 3 years, you will be screwed.This covers the difference between what your insurance company "thinks your truck was worth before you wrecked it" and the actual payoff...hence the term gap (even though some stealerships call it Guaranteed Asset Protection)
Does that apply if you're paying cash for the truck?

Old 01-15-2008, 06:48 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

ORIGINAL: APPI

ORIGINAL: mfs212

Does that apply if you're paying cash for the truck?
No, only if you're leasing. Seriously, go to Edmund's. Forget the sticker! YOU are coming UP from invoice, not down from retail. Only you know EXACTLY what is on the truck. Edmund's can help you figure out what it's really worth. Just remember: when you sign on the dotted line, it just dropped 25% from the best deal you negotiated.

Quick Reply: Is this a good or great deal?