3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing ATF - How hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 06:37 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing ATF - How hard is it?

Anybody know how much the PML pans go for? And do you think the dealership will install it with a transmissions change?

Old 01-21-2008, 07:16 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Fella"s disregard my last question. I was able to contact PML and the prices range from $220.00 to $300.00 with the 300.00 version being all aluminum.......what do you guys think? are these prices typical of transmission covers?

Old 01-21-2008, 09:46 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Moe's has the PML for $200. I would think a tranny shop would put the new one on in place of the original. I'd prefer to DIY. It's easy and then you know who did it and what was done.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:50 AM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

Moe's? is that the same as PeP boys?

Old 03-04-2008, 02:20 PM
RamItOne
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i posted in another post that you can just have a machine shop drill a hole and tread a bolt, just like your oil pan. youll still want to take the pan off when you change it again, but this time you can have a nice pour instead of a flood. i compare it to a man standing up and peeing vs a woman standing up and peeing.

Old 03-04-2008, 03:03 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

ORIGINAL: NYPANAMA42

Moe's? is that the same as PeP boys?
Fortunately, no. Manny, Moe, and Jack can't even spell "CAR" Moe's is http://moesperformance.com/Great folks and stand-up customer service.

Old 03-05-2008, 09:37 PM
DannyMK2
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

atf+4 is like $4.45 a quart at walmart. 2wd's use 5.5qts and 4x4's use 6.5 qts on the pan drop. if you dont want to drill into your pan and cant afford a nice new one with the drain plug in it you can do what i did....go to a place like home depot, they should sell big rectangular plastic pan, like for mixing cement and put that under the tranny. if you look at the tranny pan, you will see one side has a sump to it while the other sits closer to the transmission. what you do is lower the bolts opposite the sump lower then the bolts around the sump. your probably going to need a small screw driver to pry the pan from the tranny, but be carful not the damage the surface, the metal on the tranny is very soft. basically, by lowering one side of the pan more then the other, you make a slide and the fluid comes nicely. you can gradually lower the bolts to stop all the fluid from rushing out at once. once the fluid stops coming out, you can take out the rest of the bolts..hold onto the pan because there will still be fluid in the sump part.

i did it like this on my back on my driveway and didnt spill a drop.

i didnt torque down the bolts either..ive read about them braking off, so i just used a 1/4" ratched to tighten them tight, but not too tight. youll see when you take off the bolts, they dont require much force at all. just try to put the same amount of force back and youll be fine.

Quick Reply: Changing ATF - How hard is it?