3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Changing ATF - How hard is it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
husley
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing ATF - How hard is it?

We have a 02' Quad-Cab Longbed and have been towing a Trailer quite a bit lately.

Is changing the ATF as easy as just draining and replacing?

Suggestions on type of ATF?

Thanks

Justin and Karna

Old 01-20-2008, 01:32 PM
kenihemi
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing ATF - How hard is it?

Well, yes and no.

Usually there is no drain plug on the trans like there is in the engine oil pan.

So, you have to remove the whole pan, get a new gasket and filter, clean everything and reinstall the trans pan and refill.

The correct fluid will be in your owner's manual.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:39 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

If you can afford it, get a tranny pan with a drain plug. Since you tow quitea bit, the fluid should be changed more often. The drain plug will make it easier and WAY less messy. To answer your question, it is a fairly easy thing to do. Make sure you have the proper filters before you begin. Lotsa newspaper on the driveway around the catch pan. You can save at least $50 doing it yourself. A torque wrench is helpful but not a requirement. The bolts are apparently easy to break off. My '03 wanted 105 in. lbs of torque to reattach the pan bolts. Do a search on this forum (I think) for a very good "how-to". Buy more fluid than you think you need. Don't let any of this discourage you. Take your time and save some money.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:48 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Oops, forgot. ATF+4 only. I used Valvoline in mine. You can get Mopar at Wally World, but it's a bit pricey.

Old 01-20-2008, 05:04 PM
NYPANAMA42
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: MikeHTally

If you can afford it, get a tranny pan with a drain plug. Since you tow quite a bit, the fluid should be changed more often. The drain plug will make it easier and WAY less messy. To answer your question, it is a fairly easy thing to do. Make sure you have the proper filters before you begin. Lotsa newspaper on the driveway around the catch pan. You can save at least $50 doing it yourself. A torque wrench is helpful but not a requirement. The bolts are apparently easy to break off. My '03 wanted 105 in. lbs of torque to reattach the pan bolts. Do a search on this forum (I think) for a very good "how-to". Buy more fluid than you think you need. Don't let any of this discourage you. Take your time and save some money.
Good idea about the Tranny Pan with a drain plug. who makes a good one? And if one decides to go that route, does that mean the fluid would be changed, and not the filter and gasket?

Old 01-20-2008, 05:32 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

Lotsa folks use PML pans, but I imagine there are several good ones. Yes, the plug by itself will be just drain and fill. I expect to use the add-on pan with plug just to make the draining neater. I will still drop the pan and change the filters. The added benefit of an aftermarket pan is increased fluid capacity and from that you get a cooler-running tranny. I plan to change my diff fluid in the spring when the global warming begins again . At that time, I'm figuring on getting a PML (or whatever brand) differential cover. It'll have a drain plug and additional capacity for cooling. I don't have a monster trailer to tow, but cooler is better, even without towing. I almost hate to dig into the rear end, but I need to check the status of the c-clips. Plus, it's time to change the diff fluid anyway. Sure hope the clips have already been removed.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:54 PM
turbot_bird
Record Breaker

here is the way to get all of it flushed out.

http://www.notnormalmotorsports.com/...Bulletins.html

Old 01-20-2008, 10:15 PM
Tractor
Professional

I made my own. A new pan only cost $35 at the dealer. Buy a half inch nut and bolt, fine thread if u can. Drill a 1/2" hole on the lowest passenger side of the pan. Take to a competant welder and weld/braze it on the outside so as not to void warranty.Thread the bolt in and cut off so it does not intrude into oilpan. After u switch pans (no downtime this way) do the same to old one and sell to recoup cost. Hope this helps. 10 minute trans oil changes from then on. 6 1/2 qts of ATF+4. You can do it about 4x yourself for the cost of once if u pay someone else.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:22 PM
kenihemi
All Star

Good write up Tractor, only thing I will add is put a rubber 'o' ring on the threaded section of the bolt to help with the sealing when tightened.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:35 PM
husley

Thank you all ! I got ATF+4 synthetic - Is synthetic okay to use?

So I really have to pull the Pan off?There isnt a Drain Plug? (filter was installed 2000 miles ago)

Quick Reply: Changing ATF - How hard is it?