3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why does no one wanna do gears?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 11:58 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why does no one wanna do gears?

Now that i am towing so much more, i am gonna put in a limited slip, and while im in there do gears front/rear. there are 2 tranny shops here and one off road/diesel performance shop locally. (smaller town about 40k people)

1 shop does not do gears/posi. The owner of the other shop said he would do the posi, but didnt like to do them or the gears, but since he knows no one else will do em, he would...
Well gee, that gives me a lot of confidence in your work.
The other shop, simply wouldn't all me back, what the hell i s wrong with people, my 1k isn't good enough? Is there an issue i should know about?

So now i am waiting on quotes from 1 shop an hour away, and another only about 1/2 hour. still..damn...

What should i expect to pay for a auburn/tru trac, and 4.10's installed at 35k. any guesses?

Old 01-21-2008, 12:38 AM
hemiyellow
DC Insider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why does no one wanna do gears?

i've heard some people say around $1200 total but i guess i couldnt tell ya....the guy that helped me, i paid him $150 and a 24-pk beer lol

Old 01-21-2008, 01:05 AM
Redram05baby

Well On MineWhen I Did My Gears It Turned Into A Nightmare! The Rear Went In Like A Breeze. The Front Was A Total Mess!

I Know I Alot Of Shops That Reallly Don't Wan To Deal With The IFS... I've Done Plenty of Gears But I Paid Someone To Do My Front. They Had A Wreck of A Time Dealing With It.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I paid just over $400 for the labor to install 4.56s in the front and rear plus the Auburn LSD in the rear. To date, the only labor I've paid for any mod of the truck.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:57 AM
bltp203
Rookie

I got one quote of $1400 for both sets of 4.56 to be installed. That was for everything from start to finish.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 AM
MikeHTally
Champion

It's not an easy thing to do, from what I've seen and read. You're right, the "I'll do it 'cause no one else will." is not confidence-inspiring. I'm thinking of having this done if I open up the pumpkin and find clip damage. I'll just have to determine that after I open it up in the spring.

Old 01-21-2008, 02:30 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: bltp203

I got one quote of $1400 for both sets of 4.56 to be installed. That was for everything from start to finish.
You should be able to do a little better, about two years ago I bought the 4.56's, front & rear, master install kit, and Auburn LSD with install was just over $1400 before tax. I went to 4 Wheel Parts. They originally quoted me just under $1800, but they will price match if you either bring proof or they can verify on the 'net.I also negotiated the Auburn install for no charge if I also bought it from them and had them install it while they were doing the rear gear (it's basically a 10 minute thing once you're already in there. It took doing a little homework on my part, plus a few phone calls and an extra trip over there, but it wasworth it...

Old 01-21-2008, 06:06 PM
kenihemi
All Star

My gears and install for front and rear went around $1200.

Old 01-21-2008, 06:10 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

I just recently put in the auburn myself alldata called for 3.9 hrs. to R&R or remove and replace the rear add one hour to swap the gears and abs tone ring over and a half hour to set bearing preload, so that is 4.4 hours.In all actuallity it took me 2.5-3.0 hours give or take a little bit for having to go to the refrigerator to get another beer every now and again . I deal with cars and trucks all day long being a mechanic and all and i must say the chrysler 9.25 is the easiest to put an lsd in if you dont change the gears you should not have to change pinion gear depth all you have to do is put the abs tone ring on then the ring gear and adjust bearing preload until you get the proper tooth contact on the two gears.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:27 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Hammer, i owe you big time. just got off the phone with one of the shops, the owner is gonna call me back tomorrow. Looks like i will get the tru trac installed for free, or like 50 bucks.

I brought up the fact that it will take about 15 minutes since hell already be in there. Told him i would send mine back for a refund and order one through him if he would install it while he was in there for free/cheaper.

He said he thought that could work...i think you jsut saved me 400 bucks sir

Quick Reply: Why does no one wanna do gears?