3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Amazing Truck Stories

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 10:02 AM
bdhuntr
Veteran
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Amazing Truck Stories

The only amazing story I have is that I rolled my 2001 F-150 4x4 at 65 mph trying to avoid a deer strike exiting off of I-95. What's amazing is the truck was completely destroyed and I walked away with a sore left foot (got stuck under the clutch pedal) and a few minor cuts on my left elbow (which I got lowering myself down out of the seat becauseI ended up upside-down.)

Old 01-23-2008, 10:42 AM
chongo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In highschool I used our old ranch truck which was a 95 3/4ton SC V10 Ram 4x4 - Manual - ripped up vinyl seats - it was a mess. It would consistently die on me while driving down the road - One time after crossing over a bridge and turning ona little loop to get to the access road the truck died - the steering wheel locked up and the brakes didnt work - I franticlly tried to get it to start before I rolled into traffic - a little scary. I had the tail gate fly off while on the hwy twice - that was always interesting to hear it go loose and watch it hit the pavement and hoping nobody got hit. It was a offroadin son of a gun though - just point it to where you want it to go and it would do it. I sold it before I went into the Marine Corps - the old fella I sold it to got it all fixed up and I still see it around town every once in a while. I really liked that truck.

Old 01-23-2008, 10:52 AM
2005cobrakiller
Captain

I actually have another story to tell..... This is why I love dodges.... A few years back I was stationed is bangor washington (just accross the puget sound from tacoma and seattle). I went to a dealership to buy a truck. I had my heart set on a rumble bee. They had a black and a yellow one. I **** you not as I walked in they were both being sold, which didn't suprise me at all. In their warehouse they had a 1991 f150 new that had like 26 miles on it. They sold it to me for 9,000 dollars as I drove off the lot with it the bed fell off of the frame...... This forever kursed the ford name.....I took it back and bought a trans am.... thought you guys should know how I feel about ford.....I hate mustangs.... and I hate the whole svt line....including lightings which are pieces of **** anyway... thought id tell you all...later~mike

Old 01-23-2008, 05:17 PM
atlaticblueram
Professional

my first truck was a 1999 ford ranger ext cab 4 inch lift and 33in tires. One day i was leaving my house and as i was going through an intersection( i had agreen light) a police officer came barelling through the intersection with just his lights on no sirens at three o'clock in the afternoon and in this intersection three major streets cross needless too say i didn't see him coming due to the other traffic stopped and i t-boned his impala. I did a litlle over $6000.00 in damages to my truck and the insurance adjuster fixed it he said it was the cleanest ranger he had ever seen. Thanks to my cousin owning the body shop it came back two tone pain green on top silver on bottom and an two color flames silver flames where they met the green paint and green where they met the silver!! It was the best thing the COPS ever did for me!!

Old 01-23-2008, 11:08 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My first truck was a 1977 F-100 with a 302 and 4sp.
No power stearing or brakes, big Vynil bench seat that could cook a egg in the summer.

Some one previouly converted it to a manual choke.

The sides of the box were so rusted out that the tail gate held every thing togethier, Than I cut off the sides with tin snips, yes, tin snips.

I built a new box out of 4x4's and panited the cab front fenders primer grey and than sparyed clear coat over it.

I had eight pairs of speakers hooked up to a sparkamtic tape deck and a Radio shack amp.

One time I broke the clutch rod and had to drive all the way home in 3rd gear, stop and start.

And I busted a few leaf springs, and to hold the body of the axel I used 4x4 Blocks with duct tape for a good month and a half.

I had never driven a standard before, and this truck tock all my abuse, I still have the rear tail lights that I used in my flat deck conversion.

When the speedometer was buried, it came all the way arround to 10 mph, and with a key or screw driver ( cross the starter relay on the fender ) you could start it.

The king pins just wore out, yet the 302 was really good on gas and it had a lot of pepper.

I really mess how easy it was to keep the truck going and I never worried abought it getting stolen, it was a cossmetric wreck and trafic would scatter every time I was on the road.

And for a 2wd it went threw tress, water and places I will never take my Ram threw.

Head light bezels were so rusted out that the plastic alignment plugs would never stay in place, at times my head lights could pick out people 2/1/2 stories in thier bed rooms.

I miss that truck, it had character ...

Old 01-26-2008, 01:28 PM
motorsporta59
Rookie

Well my first SUV was a 87 jimmy 2.8l 4x4 I got the day I turned 16 and it was a beast. Or so I thought... One day at lunch some buddies had a great idea to go mudding. Made one pass through the mudd and barely got through. Second pass I tried to go over in a spot that didn't look as deep. This turned out to be a bad choice. Got stuck, put it in 4 low,kind of got it rocking, and some how managed to get out. Then I noticed a slight ticking sound and decided to skip class and go wash it. By the time I got to the car wash the ticking was very bad and I knew some thing was wrong. However, I still spend a good hour cleaning it and managed to get to my 5th period class. After school it limped to my dads shop, where I found out I spun a rod. Well that thing was out of action I got a 82 S10 with over 300k on it. Only thing good about that truck was I learned how to drive standard. It lasted me 2 months before the engine was toast just from normal driving. After my Jimmy was repaired I had to replace all 4 tires, heater core, water pump, U-joints, and finally the tranny went out. After I fixed it I finally sold it. After that I had a 82 rx7 that was fun to screw around with and a 93 probe gt (engine also had to be replaced) and was totalled off by a deer 2 summers ago, and my most recent which I still have is a 97 audi a4. By far my best car. Have a lot of money into it, but kind of want to sell it.And finally I picked up my 04 ram in september and have starting doing things to it. All these and I am only 20...Ill try find some pics of all these if wanted...

Quick Reply: Amazing Truck Stories