3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

HELP!!!! truck keeps losing acceleration.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 01:36 PM
7floorsofhell
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!!! truck keeps losing acceleration.

I keep thinking I have nipped this problem but it keeps shutting down on me. Somebody just posted a thread a couple weeks ago with the same symptoms. I left work yesterday, pulled out onto a 55mph road, I didn't get on the throttle but had to get to 55 fairly quickly to not get run over when out of nowhere the red lightning bolt came on and the truck had no acceleration. I managed to pull it over and put it in park. engine was still running, idling all over the place, when I hit the gas, it would not rev up. I turned the truck off and started it up right away and everything was back to normal. It has done this coming to a stop 4 or 5 times now as well. I picked up throttle body cleaner, haven't gotten to it yet though. Is the TPS to blame for this? Does anyone have any solid input about this. it sounds to me it's a pretty common problem. I was guessing it was the tuning setup in my truck but after reading other guy's similar circumstances, I honestly don't believe it's the supercharger or anything else. It did this once before when the truck was a stock Hemi as well. Please help, I'm to the point where I am nervous to take it into traffic.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:32 PM
codysiver
Default RE: HELP!!!! truck keeps losing acceleration.

the exact thing happened to me a few times now. happened like 3 times on a 2000 mile trip. theres a little red lightning bolt in the bottom right corner that pops up and blinks then it just will not rev up past 1000 rpms. pulled over shut it off and resets itself and will not do it again for like another 500 miles. im not sure what it is and everyone i talked to didnt know either. if anyone knows what the problem is that would be great. i first thought it was a fuel filter but that wasnt it. cant find the problem. if you have any answers please post.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:01 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Guys, the "lightning bolt" doesn't mean you're about to race a Ford, nor does it mean you have a message waiting from Zeus. It's the dummy light for the alternator.

Seeing it flash means it's going bad, a wire is loose, or something killed the vehcile's ignition for a split second. Any of these needs to be fixed asap.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 PM
John M
Record Breaker

Oops - I guess I was wrong. It is the Mark of Zeus.

Actually it means there's a problem with the electronic throttle control. That's what I get for guessing about an icon!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:07 AM
abarmby
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would have thought that a code would be generated, for such a serious error like this?
Have you tried the "key trick" to pull up a code?
It works on 03 Hemi's, as I do it on a regular basis to see if anything comes up.
Turn your ignition key from the off position to the ignition position, but do not switch it further to start the truck.
Do this 3 times in under 2 seconds and then leave it in the ignition on position the third time.
In the oddometer display, you will see an error code if you haven't already reset the PCM.
Look this code up and it should point you in the right direction.
Al.

Old 01-27-2008, 12:41 PM
7floorsofhell
Professional

i'll try the code thing with the key but the check engine light didn't come on.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:19 PM
codysiver

i did the key thing with shutting it on and off 3 times and the screen just said done and didnt give me a code read. just came up and said "done". how would i check to see if it was my throttle control sensor? the pickup only does it like everyone 700 miles or so, so its not like it happens all the time? anyone else having this happen to them?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:27 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

mine did that and had bad gas....only a guess though

Old 01-28-2008, 08:28 AM
KRZY.BMET
Peaceful Browser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: JD1500

mine did that and had bad gas....only a guess though

Same here. I was on "E" once and ended up having to get gas at a generic station. After driving a hundred miles or so, my truck started bogging out, idling funny, and just didn't run right. As soon I put better gas in, the problem went away.

Now I didn't get the "Lightning Bolt" which would indicate some sort of electrical problem most likely from your alternator. Your alternator can work intermitantly on and off if it is going bad, so it will be hard to diagnosis it until the problem gets worse. I would try and make sure all connections are tight and clean for now and wait to see what happens. You could always go to an auto parts store and see if the alternator is supplying enough current to charge the system. They have records that show what window of power the alternator should fall into. You might be able to see that the alternator is at the bottom of the power grid barely working and if your truck surges with power for any reason, the alternator can't handle it and starts to quit on you.

Kepp us posted if you find anything though.

Old 01-28-2008, 11:21 AM
John M
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: L and R Two

Now I didn't get the "Lightning Bolt" which would indicate some sort of electrical problem most likely from your alternator.
Nope - I already addressed that above. I got out the owner's manual to be sure!

Quick Reply: HELP!!!! truck keeps losing acceleration.