3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sub placement other than storage bins?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:36 AM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Sub placement other than storage bins?

Would the concept 8" fit under one of the front seats? I use the storage bins under the rear seats for tools, stuff related to towing & the boat, etc. I used to have a toolbox on my longbed, but with a shorter bed I didn't want to give up anymore bed space. And the center console holds other things like my laptop, camera, mp3 player, paperwork, etc. Lastly, I usually haul boxes of shirts around in the back with the fold flat floors. So, that doesn't leave me very many options, which is why I wanted to see how creative someone else might have gotten.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:03 AM
kregier
Veteran

In regards to the center console, you could make a box that replaces the seat part, and mount the console to that.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Scott06HEMI
Professional

I built a box that is about .4 cubic ft of air space for the pioneer low profile subs. They use a very little amount of air space and I build a box to fit under my passenger seat. The amp is under my driver seat. I also didn't want to lose my storage space both in the front console or under the back seats, not to mention I didn't want to lose my fold out platform. Under the front seats was my only option. I mounted the amp under the driver seat since the amp is not as high as the sub box because I have a power driver seat and not as much clearence under there. I only paid $100 shipped for the sub on ebay but also found them at radio shack for about $120. One word of advice though if you go this route...make sure to point the port side of the box towards the center console...if it points towards the front or back people feel it on their feet, if it points towards the passenger side door it makes that piece of plastic (covering the seat to the floor, just to make it look prettier) rattle SO LOUD. I got a pretty good amount of bass out of it but i usually leave the sub off (i can turn it off at my radio) when i have passengers because it makes the seat vibrate almost as much as the speaker itself. does.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:45 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

I built a box that is about .4 cubic ft of air space for the pioneer low profile subs.
That's awesome... just what I wanted to hear. So the box wouldn't fit under the driver's seat? I have a power seat too, but I'd much rather have the sub under my seat so it wouldn't bother passengers as much, but I'll take what I can get given all of my other limitations.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 PM
TANKZ400
All Star

That under the seat idea is pretty cool.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM
macdizzle17

They make a box that replaces the bottom half of the middle seat in the front bench i ordered one for my truck and its easy to install with what they say and theres padding on it to sit on, I'm in iraq so its not in yet but its sitting at my house with many other parts. If you go on ebay in Consumer Electronics, then car electronics, then car subwoofer enclosures. Then do a search for Dodge Ram then scroll down. It will fit a 10" or 12" sub and should be just what you need. A guy i was deployed with my first tour had one and said he loved it. I have that and then a box for 2 12s under the back seat.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
macdizzle17

they go for 165 with shipping. Which isstill a good deal for the box.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
mfs212
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I havent measured the space under the seat yet, but that concept might fit. I have seen it in person and it is fairly low profile.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:31 PM
Sobomaster
Record Breaker

They make a box that replaces the bottom half of the middle seat in the front bench
I have the Laramie which doesn't have a bench, so that's not an option. Under the seat it will be. I see you can get the Pioneer for under $100 shipped from eBay, so that's probably what I'll do.

Old 01-31-2008, 05:00 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

on the headliner would be badass...

Quick Reply: Sub placement other than storage bins?