3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EMERGENCY RADIATOR PROB. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 11:53 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: EMERGENCY RADIATOR PROB. PLEASE HELP!!!

check your thermostat dood. take it out and throw it in some wate ron your stove and see if it opens.

or

start your truck...for like a minute or two tops. turn off. remove thermostat from housing, but put housing/upper hose back on...

hmm...?

hell...try disconnecting your battery or something for a few min. maybe it's holding your truck is "closed loop" or whatever it's called.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:00 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

okay...but for real...i didn't realize you were all about going out there and doing it now liek you did.

i understand what you did by running hose though reservoir, but you wanna somehow get water through your sytem to clean out any "blockages"...what i think you're doing is filling up reservoir and radiator...

so, do what you just did, but take out the thermostat, to ensure that water flows from radiator into block, and trytrytry to find that block drain (OR disconect lower hose & block off radator side to allow radiator to fill up) to ensure that the stuff is draining from the bottom.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:03 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

^^ the block drain is gonna be like this...it's gonna pretty much be in line with those pressed in blowaway caps. it'll be located as low as possible for pretty obvious drainage reasons.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:07 AM
mmstar23
Champion

as far as i know, it went through the system. i dont know where the thermostat is, but i ran my water house into the hose from the resevoir, it ran through the engine, and out into the radiator back into the resevoir where it flowed out onto the ground.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:19 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i know what you're saying. the thermostat is what allows water to go into your engine block/waterpumps, etc. if that thing is closed (which is probably was...unless is was hot enough to be open) your water hose did nothing except fill the radiator and reservoir.

the thermostat where be where that big upper hose on the radiator goes to the engine. right where it means the engine, is a like a metal housing. un bolt that..it's like 3 bolts, and there is a thermostat in there....it's primitive looking. nothing high tech...it's a spring that coils up in high heat, and as it coils up, it opens up to let water/antifreeze go from the hose, to the engine...anyways, take that thermostat out, then put hose/housing back on, then fill with water.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:30 AM
mmstar23
Champion

i know its kind of a hard question to ask, but i need to go to school in the morning, its about a 3.5 mile trip. pretty close. do you think i could get it there and back for the time being. just short distances. its no more than a 10 minute drive. also...i have a feeling its not the thermostat, since its normally a cold weather type malfunction, and down in florida you dont hear that going too often. i think its either the radiators gone now since i had a small leak previously. or its the water pump. if its the waterpump...can i drive a short distance such as to and from school?

thanks for the advice and help

Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i don't honestly know dood aboiut your drive.

and also you're a bastard for being in florida...it's cold here in chicago...and ihave strep throat.../UGH

Old 01-31-2008, 12:46 AM
sddunn2
Professional

thermostats are designed to fault open so if they go bad you dont overheat your motor . You could have also created an air lock in your system try running the truck with the rad cap off and look for any bubbles comeing out .just my thoughts

Old 01-31-2008, 12:48 AM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

ORIGINAL: sddunn2

thermostats are designed to fault open...
don't think i knew that...?

Old 01-31-2008, 02:59 AM
BigHorned
Amateur

First thing to do is to buy a new thermostat(get a buddy to drive you don't drive unless you know how to change head gaskets or engines...What you are going to have to do is to flush your system...now environmental issues arise when you properly flush a coolant system you know with antifreeze and now stop leak running all over the ground and stuff so correct answer is buy a big drain pan...lalalala... Best way to do is to remove your thermostat (buy a manual...others ping with a good one to get)and remove the lower radiator hose from the engine since this will lessen the chances of F'in up the radiator. Run your hose's cold water into the thermostat housing opening into the engine(keep engine off) and let it runtill the water is crystal clear coming outof the engine. Now once again run hose water through the coolant bottle to the radiator and watch for crystal clear water coming out of the hose you disconnected from the engine. Install everything back together and put in the new thermostat.

This may not clear everything out of the system. Still have the heater core and some passages will not be reached inside the engine with just gravity flush. If you don't have a decent mechanical know how...take it in. And advise everyone you know to not use stop leak.

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY RADIATOR PROB. PLEASE HELP!!!