3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

EMERGENCY RADIATOR PROB. PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 10:34 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EMERGENCY RADIATOR PROB. PLEASE HELP!!!

so i posted up a that my radiator had been leaking so on and so forth. so i bought this stop leak today and put it in. on the way home, the check gage light comes on and i look at my temp gage. REDLINING HOT!!! now i get home, pop open that hood and look at the coolant tank...lokk inside NO WATER/COOLANT FLOWING!! what do i do? PLEASE HELP ASAP IM FREAKING OUT!

Old 01-30-2008, 10:42 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Default RE: EMERGENCY RADIATOR PROB. PLEASE HELP!!!

PLEASE HELP. I'D RATHER NOT FRY AN ENGINE TONIGHT

Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 PM
BigHorned
Amateur

Stop leak may be the problem. With the narrow passages in todays engines and sensitivity of sensors, you may have a blocked passageway now/clogged water pump or best case senerio, an inop/clogged thermostat. I didn't read you prior post about a leaking radiator but it's always best to just replace the part that the leak is coming from. With no flow going on, chances are the water pump has failed. Time to take her in.

Old 01-30-2008, 10:50 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

i'd never put stopleak into my radiator. you probably shouldn't have done that imo. you can't even flush the stuff out...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:52 PM
mmstar23
Champion

oh well thats just great. you dont think theres a blockage in one of the lines or anything? something I can fix?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:53 PM
mmstar23
Champion

so what do i need? new radiator now..and a water pump?

Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

oh well thats just great. you dont think theres a blockage in one of the lines or anything? something I can fix?
my guess is that the blockage is just that problem...the stopleak stuff. i'd flush the whole system. go buy a flushing tee kit for liek $5, find your block drain, and while that plug's out, plump yourself a nipple and ball valve to make it easier for next time.

that's just what i'd do, cause i hate the stuff.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:00 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ya. im going to call the company tomorrow and see what i can do about it. it ran fine before...a small leak and now this sh*t. people always told me dont fix it if it aint broken. it was minorly broken, but next time...im not taking the cheap way, ill buy the damn part i need. so do i still need a water pump..of course a radiator down the line when i can afford it but do i still need the water pump or can i just flush it tomorrow and call it a day?

Old 01-30-2008, 11:11 PM
derricksmash
V6 Ram Moderator

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

ya. im going to call the company tomorrow and see what i can do about it. it ran fine before...a small leak and now this sh*t. people always told me dont fix it if it aint broken. it was minorly broken, but next time...im not taking the cheap way, ill buy the damn part i need. so do i still need a water pump..of course a radiator down the line when i can afford it but do i still need the water pump or can i just flush it tomorrow and call it a day?
just flush the hell out of it....hot water maybe? i mean, take out the thermostat, then put thermostat housing back on to make sure water runs through it. put your flushing tee on. leave radiator cap open, make sure block drainplug is out, and it's your call if u wanna open the radiator drain...don't even know if our trucks have one, but in my experience, opening that piece of crap breaks it, and you can't close it...(just be careful with it, cause you want all those low points of drainage open to get all that crap out. blast some hot water through there...for as long as you want...(hell....an hour or two)....or ideally until that bronze colored crap is out of your system. leave the flushing tee in place (it shoudl come with a screw on 'lid'). but if you flsuh it like this (including the block drain and ****) you'll probably get it all out. but if you bring it to some mechanic to get a flush, you'd be lucky if they even drain the thing.

^^^ best thing in the world

basically splice it into your heater line, attach a waterhose...

Old 01-30-2008, 11:35 PM
mmstar23
Champion

ok, i didnt use a tee or anything. all i did was from the coolant resevoir, the hose that goes from the tank to the engine. i stuck the hose from the house with water flowing through it. its perfectly clean now, clear water runs through perfectly now. but when i turn the truck on. no water flows. i think i might be the water pump but i have no idea. what do you think. water flows with hose water with pressure. but does not flow when engine is supose to make it flow

Quick Reply: EMERGENCY RADIATOR PROB. PLEASE HELP!!!