3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Extreme! Input..

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Redram05baby
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Extreme! Input..

Well, I Am Gettin' Tired of Installing Things Like A Normal Person Would, LoL. Now That I Am Comfortable Wth Drillin' Holes in My Truck.. Figured I'd Keep It Up.

Since The New Recon Back Ups Came Out.. I Want To Go Extreme..

Of Course This Is Photochop, But Thats What I Am Thinkin'.

I Want To Drill and Mount The New H3 Recon Lights Into My Bumper. I Have Seen Really Nice ABS Trim Rings To Create A Flush Finish. And Would Fabricate Mounts To Mount Behind The Bumper.

They Would Be Fush With The Bumper And Couldn't Be Knocked Off Offroading or Something Being Kicked Up While Driving. The Goal Is To Create A Factory Finished Look, Other Than You And Me, Most People Wouldn't Realized They Were Custom Aftermarket.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:16 AM
red06RAM
All Star
Default RE: New Extreme! Input..

sounds like a lot of work. that would look really cool. once you are done installing all of Recon's products they should take your truck and show it off at SEMA or a car show.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:42 AM
TANKZ400
All Star

Man are they giving you free stuff for talking about them so much they should put your truck on their website when your done.

Old 02-05-2008, 11:52 AM
FootballCoach

Sounds like a lot of trouble, I wouldn't suggest putting them there either, the first place to be hit by someone will be right where you plan on putting them. My I suggest putting them where the current reverse lights are. Drilling, mounting would be easier there plus you would be able to wire them easier asl well. Just drill and mount on the out side of the of the tail-light lens. You could try and find someway to mount them inside the existing reverse housing. I'm simply suggesting this because tail-light housings would be cheaper to replace than a bumper, besides when adding strobes or emergency flashers that is where they install them, in the tail-light housing.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:12 PM
red06RAM
All Star

ORIGINAL: TANKZ400

Man are they giving you free stuff for talking about them so much they should put your truck on their website when your done.
+1

Old 02-05-2008, 12:20 PM
Redram05baby

ORIGINAL: red06RAM

ORIGINAL: TANKZ400

+1
I Only Have The Cab Lights... The Third Brake Lamp... Soon To Have Back Ups and Bed Rail Lights.

I Agree I Talk About Their Products A Lot.. But Now A Days I Find It Hard To Find A Company That Actually Has A Good Product Line - And Have Honest People To Back Them Up.

Like I Said The Only Thing Free Is The Backup Lamps Hopefully For Doing A DIY/ "How To" Installing Them Myself. I Appoligize If It's Too Much On This Forum, I Just Really Like Their Products - and When They Gave Me The Discount Code For You Guys I Figured It Would Be A Good Opportunity To Get You Guys Involved. Ya Know?

Old 02-05-2008, 12:41 PM
Redram05baby

ORIGINAL: FootballCoach

Sounds like a lot of trouble, I wouldn't suggest putting them there either, the first place to be hit by someone will be right where you plan on putting them. My I suggest putting them where the current reverse lights are. Drilling, mounting would be easier there plus you would be able to wire them easier asl well. Just drill and mount on the out side of the of the tail-light lens. You could try and find someway to mount them inside the existing reverse housing. I'm simply suggesting this because tail-light housings would be cheaper to replace than a bumper, besides when adding strobes or emergency flashers that is where they install them, in the tail-light housing.
I Agree With You on A Certain Point - There Would Risk Being Damaged In A Rear End Collision. Although I Always Leave My Trailer Hitch In Place, If I Get Hit Hard Enough Where They Impact Past My Hitch.. The Backup Lamps Are The Least of Their Expense. Although, With The Same Amount of Impact They Would Crush The Lights Mounted Under The Bumper Also.

I Have 6 Way SHO-ME Strobes Which Will Be Installed This Summer.. So Mounting Them In My Taillamps Would Cram The Strobes and The Backup Lamps Together. Plus Creating Another Place Where Moisture Can Find Its Way In.

Using The Proper Metal Hole Saw, It Would Create A Clean Hole. As I Stated, I Would Either Find An ABS Plasic Trim Sleeve W/ Ring or Make One Out of Stainless Steel.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:43 PM
red06RAM
All Star

it's not too much for the forum. your truck is just gonna look really awesome when finished.

Old 02-05-2008, 12:55 PM
mopar74
Professional

I think they are 'wicked pissa' and you need to get them installed. Just get a couple of extra sets so the idiots that are out there do not back into you.It seems you tow a trailer a lot so that may protect them some of the time but I can't stand public parking.

Hell, at a construction site I had someone hit my new-at-the-time truck pulling into the job site. Most people, not everyone here - but we have heard of the trailer hitch being used, don't know how far back their truck is and couldn't park it curb side or in betwen two cars.

NOW think about the idiot that doesn't care about your truck especially if they are eco-over-friendly or worse - jealousy!

Sweet truck! Keep up the mods. We may not all agree but it gets us thinking of other applications for the same products or necesary mods the manufacturer needs to make to their own poducts.

We'll just call you the DF RECON R&D Team Leader. Keep 'em coming.

mopar74 EIDTED FOR RANTING

Old 02-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Redram05baby

Thats The Spirit!

Talked To The Guys at Recon and Apparently They Have Received A Lot of Calls From DFers About Their Backup Lamps.. I Am Not Alone! LoL

Their Backup Lamps Are 15 Days Out.

But Hopefully Their Bed Rail Lights Will Come In Tomorrow So I Can Have That Write Up Done For You Guys To See. Since I Have No Ties I Will Tell You If They Suck or Not. But With The Cargo Lamp Now... Anything Will Be Better!

Thanks For The Support Guys.. Recon Products Are Like Crack For Me, And You Guys Are Encouraging It! LoL

Quick Reply: New Extreme! Input..