3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

'03 electronic throttle control

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 01:25 PM
drscape
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '03 electronic throttle control

Hey guys, fist of all thanks for having this forum, I think it's great. I found your site because I have a problem with my 03 ram 2500,,,check engine light is coming on. I did the key trick which I found out how to do on this site and came up with P0300....does anyone know what I do next or which part it's referring to? thanks alot, Paul

Old 02-05-2008, 05:29 PM
mmstar23
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: '03 electronic throttle control

Basically this means that the the car's computer has detected that not all of the engine's cylinders are firing properly.
A P0300 OBD code indicates a random or multiple misfire. If the last digit is a number other than zero, it corresponds to the cylinder number that is misfiring. A P0302 code, for example, would tell you cylinder number two is misfiring. Unfortunately, a P0300 doesn't tell you specifically which cylinder is mis firing, nor why.

the engine may be harder to start, the engine may stumble / stumble, and/or hesitate.

check your spark plugs/wires, coil pack, oxygen sensors, fuel injectors, burned exhaust valve, catalytic converter, Stuck/blocked EGR valve / passages, camshaft position sensor, Defective computer. these could all be cause of this.

you maybe able to solve this by...
If there are no symptoms, the simplest thing to do is to reset the code and see if it comes back.
If there are symptoms such as the engine is stumbling or hesitating, check all wiring and connectors that lead to the cylinders (i.e. spark plugs). Depending on how long the ignition components have been in the car, it may be a good idea to replace them as part of your regular maintenance schedule. I would suggest spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor (if applicable). Otherwise, check the coils (a.k.a. coil packs). In some cases, the catalytic converter has gone bad. If you smell rotten eggs in the exhaust, your cat converter needs to be replaced. I've also heard in other cases the problems were faulty fuel injectors.
Random misfires that jump around from one cylinder to another (read: P030x codes) also will set a P0300 code. The underlying cause is often a lean fuel condition, which may be due to a vacuum leak in the intake manifold or unmetered air getting past the airflow sensor, or an EGR valve that is stuck open.

Quick Reply: '03 electronic throttle control