3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Door moldings removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:01 AM
masshole
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door moldings removal?

What's up everyone..

I would like to remove my door moldings I have, and install the chrome one's instead. I just think the chrome one's would look much better and I allready have them.

Does anybody have experience at this? There shouldn't be any holes right?

The chrome one's I bought are OEM standard and just have the 3M tape, as backing for the installation. So i'm assuming the same applies for the one's I have on there right now.

So, my next question would be, should I use a heat gun before removal, or will they just pop off?

Also, I will be selling them if they aren't damaged!

Dodge Ram Hemi 4X4 QC 07 Silver w/ chrome package, Thunder Road.

Thanks.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:02 PM
masshole
Professional
Default RE: Door moldings removal?

Bump!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:25 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done this many, many times. You can loosen them up with a heat gun to make it easier but is not totally necessary.... I usually take a thin plastic wedge and slide it into 1 end about3 inchesand then remove the wedge and get my fingers behind it and pull it off slowly. Sometimes the tape comes off with the molding and sometimes the tape stays on the door...Some people use fishing line to saw off the molding. I never have but might try it.. You can use adhesive solvent to get the tape off the door or you can roll it off with your thumb. There are no holes in the door after the molding is off. To make putting the new molding on straight, you can run masking tape down the top of the old molding before you take it off....And after you take them off they may or may not be reuseable. Sometimes they warp as you are pulling them off.....Hope this helps....DAVID

Old 02-06-2008, 10:54 PM
masshole
Professional

Thanks for the tip, Parts! I may try the fishing line idea.

Quick Reply: Door moldings removal?