3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Why should I get the Dodge?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 09:56 AM
josh213corbs
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why should I get the Dodge?

DF guys please don't hate me for this, but I'm giving me honest opinion (and still love my 1500)...

Look, Zack...this is a Dodge Forum, so all these guys are very biased (as you can tell). Not that they're biased in a bad way, but they all love their American-made trucks.

I think Pirata has made some very valid points...you need to compare certain aspects of the two trucks side by side and decide which is better for your particular needs.

I recently found this comparison: http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...i-mechanicals/

The link favors the Tundra for many reasons (and not just because it is on a Tundra blog either). The Tundras are friggin' nice!!!

They tow more than the 1500, have more power than the 1500, and GET MUCH BETTER GAS MILEAGE THAN THE 1500!!!

If you're looking to save on gas don't buy the 1500...I'm getting 11-12MPG's in my new '07...HORRIBLE.

If you were to just man up and get the CUMMINS 2500 then you'd be making a sound decision for quality and durability, but anything else over the Tundra would not be recommended by me, personally.

And yes, the rattles inside my cab have already begun after 5k miles!

Make your own decision, but look around and I think you'll find what you're looking for.

Where do you live where you have sleds??

Old 02-08-2008, 10:04 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

i agree with josh, you need to compare and contrast both. But josh, i know from experience that tundra;s have a ton of recalls, and they may get better mileage than a hemi, but i know the iforce is just as bad, if not worse. and they get terrible mileage while towing. They do have good power though.

how many miles are on your truck? i have a QC 4x4, and am getting 14-15 around town easy. ive been getting 12 lately though becaue of the storms ive been in 4 wheel drive. i easliy get 16-18 on the highway, and im not a slow driver by any means.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:24 AM
josh213corbs
Professional

You're kidding right? 16-18 highway EASY? I don't know if I can believe that. I have only 5k miles on my truck, '07 4X4 QC...

Averages 13...possibly 15 if I'm driving like a vag.

I happen like like the i-force, personally. You're saying it get bad gas mileage? I respectfully disagree sir.

Did you read this link? http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...i-mechanicals/

My brother has an 07 Tundra and I can support the fact that that truck is a beast compared to my truck...through and through.

He even has a leveling kit with 35X12.5 Mickey Thompson ATZ's...those tires should kill his mileage, but nope...he still rages 15-17 avg.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:09 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And as long as he doesn't load anything heavy on the tailgate, worry about the low-speed torque converter shudder problems, or touch the silver plastic interior trim that rubs off quickly, he'll be fine.

No truck is perfect. Is the Tundra worth the price premium over Dodge? Nope. The only way it's "amazing" is that it's got more power, and that'll get fixed next year. I can't stand the interior design -- that'd keep me from buying the truck at any price.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:34 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

while i agree with most of that, reading a tundra is better thread on a tundra site, is like reading a tundra sucks thread on a dodge site. They are both biased.

My dad has a tundra. I know that it gets the same mileage as me, worse while towing the same trailer. and between the trim rubbing off, the tailgate breaking when you put a bail of hay on it, and the transmission output shaft recalls, i am not that impressed.

It is a good motor, and a faster motor. fact is fact. I'll still take my dodge though.

Beleive it or not, 16-18 is easily done. I set the cruise between 65-70 and got 18.4 mechanical on the way to portland 2 times. 16-17 is where it is uaually at though.

Old 02-08-2008, 02:56 PM
josh213corbs
Professional

You think that Magnaflow of yours helps your MPG's?

Old 02-08-2008, 03:02 PM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

Get the 2500...hemi or cummins its way better than the new tundras....

Old 02-08-2008, 03:44 PM
Mystro
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The 2500 Ram makes the Tundra look like a toy.

All do respect, the 2500 Heavy Duty Ram makes the Tundra look like a tinker toy. A 1500 Ram would be a better compaison. That being said, my 2006 Ram 2500 is still tight and rattle free. The build quality of the latest Ram is ALOT better than earlier generations. I have owned them all and I can say the latest Ram is light years ahead in terms of build quality.
The Hemi should get over 200K without any problems. The diesel is great for towing all the time but it felt sluggish next to the Hemi in everyday driving and diesel fuel being 50 cents more a gallon than unleaded plus, any MPG advantage while towing is washed away. Also the 2500 Hemi are not MDS so there is less to go wrong down the road and the exhaust note sounds great.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:45 PM
JD1500
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: josh213corbs

You think that Magnaflow of yours helps your MPG's?
the only mods i have are the magnaflow, no resonators, and a k/n drop in filter. I wouldnt think it would help that much, but i guess it is possible. I guess the resonators would help quite a bit...

Old 02-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Charlie in TX

One reason not to get a Tundra for your uses, the tailgate will not suport weight. Load your ski, replace your tailgate.
2nd, over head cam. 5 plus foot of cam belt will streach much further and quicker than a 1ft chain in a pushrod engine.
3rd, poor reliability. The Tundra has caused Consumer Reports to no longer automaticly give Toyota a high rating for reliability on any new model. They now have to proove reliabilty like other manufacutes.

Why I stopped looking at Toyota? I tow my truck behund my motor home. Can't do that with a Tundra.

One reason not to get a Dodge, gas milage, but they are not that different. This is my first Dodge, have about 14k miles on it now. Get 12.5ish mpg around sub-houston, 15 hwy in a Megacab. I have owned Chevy, GMC, Ford in the last few years. I am really liking this Dodge. And I am fine with the Hemi.

Get what you like, you have to make the payments on it!

Quick Reply: Why should I get the Dodge?