3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Mega Cab Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 05:37 PM
chongo
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Mega Cab Questions

Mileage in these things suck as it is - I would be really unhappy if it dropped 2-4 mpg's. Maybe I understated the "slight wind" but it wasn't blowing that strong and at times when I looked at trees on the side of the road it didn't looklike they were moving much at all. Normally though I get 14.5@65 on a mostly flat stretch of hwy - through in some hills and that number goes down.

I have heard of two or three different people when using the economy tune on the superchips, their mileage went down - are you using the economy tune?

Old 02-08-2008, 05:55 PM
ThaChad
Professional

I find that hard to believe, and dump that Superchips and other aftermarket products can change the Speedo Calibration but the factory can't!

TPMS is a government thing, Soon all cars/trucks will have it due to people driving around with under inflated tires and wasting fuel. It is also Illegal for a dealer/shop to disable TPMS, however In time there will be a solution where you will be ablejust plug a terminator into the TPMS wire instead of the sensor, and it will tell the computer that everything is 'normal' via a speciffic resistance. Just the same wayyou do if you remove thecatalytic converters.

Howeveryou really should have E rated tires sine your truck is technically a 3/4 ton truck! If you were to load your truck to capacity inside and out, you would be seriously taxing your tires.

Where did you find a 1-3/4" leveling kit? I got a 2" Leveling kit, which sits exactly level by measuring the paint line on my truck (2-tone Paint). But if I put any weight in the bed, or hook up a trailer Mt truck sits nose up.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:01 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: chongo

I have heard of two or three different people when using the economy tune on the superchips, their mileage went down - are you using the economy tune?
I do currently have it set on economy tune untill I burn off my 87 fuel, then I will fill her up with Premium and reset to performance tune and see what happens.. But my overhead computer is always off (lower) by 2-4 MPG's from what I calculate when I fill up.

-ThaChad

Old 02-08-2008, 06:02 PM
chongo
Veteran

I have measured my truck and the front end looks like it is sitting lower than it actually is - the difference between front and rear is about 1 1/4 inch - my front tires are worn down but the tires in the rear are almost new - I think if I added a 2" spacer my front end would sit to high - unless I got an add a leaf for 1 inch in rear (which I am thinking about doing) or get a 1 -1 1/2 spacer - I am pretty sure topguncustoms can make one for you to your pref. - don't quote me on that.

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Timmerduder
Veteran

The 1 3/4" is actually the 2" leveler and it is totally level. The first day or 2 the front was actually a bit higher but it settled in and looks awesome!

The Max load in these tires is 3195lbs each so I don't see a problem there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/83535/846AD888557B414ABD1560F673E34DF3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/83535/37A99DF939834145BFA310F511F84C5D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-08-2008, 06:31 PM
ThaChad
Professional

I have measured my truck and the front end looks like it is sitting lower than it actually is - the difference between front and rear is about 1 1/4 inch - my front tires are worn down but the tires in the rear are almost new - I think if I added a 2" spacer my front end would sit to high - unless I got an add a leaf for 1 inch in rear (which I am thinking about doing) or get a 1 -1 1/2 spacer - I am pretty sure topguncustoms can make one for you to your pref. - don't quote me on that.

Where are you measuring? At first I measured the top of the wheel well's, but then I realize that the Front and rear wheel wells are cut different and 1 sits higher than the other (I don't remember which). So i measured the paint line where the 2 colors meet on the 1/4 panel. With nothing in my truck, It sits perfectly level. But I would have liked a 1.5" spacer if I had a choice.

How hard is it to add-a-leaf? I'd like to do that. Does it automaticallt add 1" to the rear?

-ThaChad

Old 02-08-2008, 11:23 PM
chongo
Veteran

I have been measuring at the center of the top of the wheel wells also - I will have to remeasure. As I understand it a 1" add a leaf will automatically add 1" to the rear and increase your payload as well - I do not know how much it would cost to have it installed or how difficult it would be to do the installyourself. But I am thinking that if I don't need the full 2" up front then I might just do an add leaf with the 2" spacer.

Old 02-09-2008, 02:16 AM
ThaChad
Professional

I have been measuring at the center of the top of the wheel wells also - I will have to remeasure. As I understand it a 1" add a leaf will automatically add 1" to the rear and increase your payload as well - I do not know how much it would cost to have it installed or how difficult it would be to do the installyourself. But I am thinking that if I don't need the full 2" up front then I might just do an add leaf with the 2" spacer.
I *think* it was the front wheel well that is cut higher in the body. Best to measure bumperheight, which is for us 2-tone paint guys the top of the Silver 1/4 stripe.

-ThaChad

Old 02-09-2008, 04:58 PM
1 Big B
Professional

I've been thinking of adding an air bag system to mine with the compressors. Has any one seen a mega with an air bag kit. I think it would be a great way to fine adjust the ride height and If you needed more capaicty in the bed you could pump it up so to speak.

When your running a lower tire pressure what is that giving you? Is it for a better ride? Handling? Just wondering because I have been running mine on the "light load" tire pressures 60/45 and maybe it would be better to run a lower PSI. Like you were talking about above the TMPS light is just annoying.

Great topic
B [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 02-10-2008, 03:10 AM
chongo
Veteran

I think when running a lower pressure you are going to wear your tires out quicker as well as watch your mpg go down - or at least I get better mpg (+ or - 1-2 mpg) when tire pressure is above the light load rating - the ride hasn't seemed to be affected that much when running the tire pressure in the normal ranges

Quick Reply: 2008 Mega Cab Questions