3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Infinity sound system...do they all suck or just mine?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 12:19 PM
John M
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Infinity sound system...do they all suck or just mine?

I'm ok with the stock Infinity sound. There's only so much bass you can expect from a system without a sub. If you jack the bass up, you can expect the speakers to rattle or distort as they try to do the impossible.

The highs are ok - not like the JBL GTI components in my car but livable. It's got plenty of overall volume even when driving with the windows down. I don't have any problem living with it till I get the chance to put in a full-blown audio system this summer.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:51 PM
ThaChad
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: SmittyRN

Getting in on this thread... do you think it's the radio/amp unit, or the speakers? I'm planning on replacing radio with a Kenwood, but I'm not planning on changing speakers if the stocks are pretty decent. Infinity/JBL/Harmon Kardon are all made by the same company, and I've always had good luck with them. Are the speakers in it the ones with the mini-amps built into the speakers? I've already figured out that installing sound insulation like Fatmat in the doors will get rid of the bass rattle.
If you just replace the head unit, you will still be using thesame built-in amp and speakers, so your sound quality will only be slightly better if at all.

Don't get aftermarket Infinity speakers confused with the factory Infinity's. If you replaced the factory Infinity's with Aftermarket Infinity's You'll have a completely different system! Aftermarket infinity's are great speakers! Your factory infinity's are made of paper, Atermarkets are made of Poly.

-TheChad

Old 02-09-2008, 01:48 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

ORIGINAL: ThaChad

ORIGINAL: SmittyRN

Getting in on this thread... do you think it's the radio/amp unit, or the speakers? I'm planning on replacing radio with a Kenwood, but I'm not planning on changing speakers if the stocks are pretty decent. Infinity/JBL/Harmon Kardon are all made by the same company, and I've always had good luck with them. Are the speakers in it the ones with the mini-amps built into the speakers? I've already figured out that installing sound insulation like Fatmat in the doors will get rid of the bass rattle.
If you just replace the head unit, you will still be using thesame built-in amp and speakers, so your sound quality will only be slightly better if at all.

Don't get aftermarket Infinity speakers confused with the factory Infinity's. If you replaced the factory Infinity's with Aftermarket Infinity's You'll have a completely different system! Aftermarket infinity's are great speakers! Your factory infinity's are made of paper, Atermarkets are made of Poly.

-TheChad

so where is this built in amp located at?

Old 02-09-2008, 01:51 PM
caliboy@heart
Veteran

ORIGINAL: redbeardmcg

What are you listening to? Sirius radio sounds flat and muffled, and a lot of FM channels crank up the bass to compensate for people with ****ty car stereos. Does it sound ****ty still with a CD?

I listen to all types of music from country to rock to rap.....everything. As far as the sourse, its a mix between FM radio, FM radio transmitter for the iPod and CD's. Obviously the CD's sound better then the rest, but they all pretty much sound like crap. I just dont understand why my work truck (dodge single cab 2005) with the base speakers sound so much better??

Old 02-09-2008, 03:25 PM
greg14_00
Professional

When i changed out my stoch cd player with my aftermarket pioneer deck, i noticed a big difference in the sound quality. You have alot more setting with bass, treble, etc. on an aftermarket deck. So you can set it up alot better.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:49 PM
SmittyRN
Professional

ORIGINAL: ThaChad

-TheChad
As far as I can tell from the wiring diagrams, the amp is built in with the radio.... if not, anyone have any idea where the amp is?

Old 02-09-2008, 04:34 PM
greg14_00
Professional

yes, the radios have the amps built into them so by replacing your stock radio with aftermarket, you will get a few more "watts" going to your speakers.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:31 PM
RAM0447
Professional

A few more watts with an equalizer that is 100X better....that's what makes the sound is when you equalize your sound to your preferences.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:43 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran

From everything I've seen/read it is behind the glove box. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Old 02-09-2008, 08:03 PM
ThaChad
Professional

ORIGINAL: greg14_00

yes, the radios have the amps built into them so by replacing your stock radio with aftermarket, you will get a few more "watts" going to your speakers.
Since when are the Infinity System amps built into the deck? The Standard radio system has a built in amp, but the infinity system uses an external amp.

To install an aftermarket Radio you have 2 options, You tie into the factory Infinity amp, which means your sound quality will only be slightly better if at all, or bypass the factory amp and replace your speakers with aftermarket speakers, then you can either use the amp built into the aftermarket deck or get an aftermarket external amp. Option 2 is quite a bit more expensive and alot more involved but will get much better sound quality.

-TheChad

Quick Reply: Infinity sound system...do they all suck or just mine?