3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Best HID/XENON Bulb for 08' Ram 1500 ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 04:50 AM
gt2wish
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best HID/XENON Bulb for 08' Ram 1500 ???

I have an 08' Ram QC 1500 4x4, and I want to replace the stock Headlight and fog light bulbs with something allot brighter, whiter, almost a tint of blue. Anybody had any luck or recommendations with an specific brand. Im not looking to do a full conversion kit just a bulb swap.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:01 AM
hugekikd 2007
Veteran
Default RE: Best HID/XENON Bulb for 08' Ram 1500 ???

i would also like to know the same thing

Old 02-10-2008, 10:17 AM
bobbylight
Professional

i got these bulbs off off ebay. The brand name is Euro Designs. They are the bulbs for Hid kits but they still work even if you dont get the hid kit. These definitely have a blue tint to them and there is a difference from the stock yellow lights and even from the sylvania silverstar. If you want i can try to get some pictures tonight once it gets dark outside. I got the 8500k in the 9007.

Old 02-10-2008, 10:32 AM
mmstar23
Champion

i have the same exact bulbs bobbylight has.theyre not as bright as id like, they are much brighter than stock though because when im driving next to a car with stock halogens, mine overpower theirs by a great deal. but when a true HID comes next to me, theres absolutly no comparison. biggest difference about the bulbs are the color, theyre not that deep ricey blue, but have a nice white, with a hint of blue. i have the headlights and fogs done, headlights are 9007 and the fogs are 9006

Old 02-10-2008, 11:54 AM
ThaChad
Professional

I've purchase many different brands of Xenen bulbs on eBay over the years for different cars, and while most of the time you can get a set shipped to your door for under $10, they arn't even as bright as yorr factory bulbs, and they always blow out in 3-8 months.

When I bought my saturn ION in April 2004, I ordered A set thatcalled XD5's they were$35 shipped, and used Quartz glass. To this day, I still have the same bulbs in this car (They've never blown out), and they are GREAT! The new version of the XD5 bulb is called GPThunder, the only thing different is the color temp.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GP-Th...spagenameZWDVW

You can search eBay for "H13 Quartz" and the GP thunder bulb is the only one that will come up as they are the only companu that uses the more exprnsive Quartz glass, and thats the reason they are the only bulbs that last!

Other than the XD5 or GP Thunder bulbs, the only bulbs I would ever put in my car/truck are PIAA's which are EXTREMELY bright, and everyone will flash you because the think you have your high beams on. But PIAA doesn't make bilbs for our truck, only for the fogs, and PIAA's will cost you $100 or more a set.

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

... headlights are 9007 and the fogs are 9006
Since when are the headlights 9007's? every book, internet site, etc Ive seen says the headlights are H13(9008)?

-ThaChad

Old 02-10-2008, 12:26 PM
ranger56528

My PIAA fogs ran me 249.00 for my 99 Ram but that was for the complete set up....

Old 02-10-2008, 03:47 PM
Kebo
Professional

ORIGINAL: ThaChad

ORIGINAL: mmstar23

... headlights are 9007 and the fogs are 9006
Since when are the headlights 9007's? every book, internet site, etc Ive seen says the headlights are H13(9008)?

-ThaChad

It depends on the year model you have. Mine is an '05 and mine are 9007. I think '06 and up are H13.

Old 02-11-2008, 12:18 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried several differen't type of bulbs. There are several articles out there that will explain to you why you don't see as well with the blue bulbs as you do the regular stock ones. If you are going for vision the stock is probably the best or if not the Superstars. I wouldn't put one of the blue bulbs in for vision.

However if you are going for the look I've tried several. I tried Farenheit stock wattage bulbs and they were a tiny bit whiter and a tiny bit brighter than stock but no blue to them at all and only slightly brighter than stock. They were okay but not what you want if you want color. These I ran for a while and they lasted okay.

I've tried several Eurolite bulbs.

The Super Plasma's were the first I tried. These were really white and seemed brighter than stock although my stock bulbs were old in the car so I'm sure not as bright as a new one would be. I was impressed they were pure white with little to no color. I liked them but after about 2 months the low beams burnt out. Since they had a warranty I got another set thinking maybe I just got a bad set. Well, the second set burnt out in 2 months or so again. I gave up on them. I ran the high beams for a few years and liked them. When they burnt out after a few years I got another set and they weren't as white and didn't seem as bright. You could tell by looking at the coating on the bulb it was different. I don't know if they changed them or something was just up with this set. I liked them but they burnt out way too fast so I wouldn't recommend these.

Next is the Eurolite Crystals. A friend had these in 80/100w ones and they looked pretty blue so I decided to try them only I got the low wattage. To me they didn't look as blue as the high wattage ones had but it might have just been my headlights. These were blue compared to factory lights so if you saw them next to a normal light they looked blue but they just looked a bright white with a slight hint of blue if you looked at them without comparing them to a stock light. These might not have lit up the road quite as well as stock but it wasn't much difference and they looked really good. I liked these and ran them for several months then sold them to a friend.

Next I tried the Fusions. The only reason I got these is Cardomain said they were 1000k higher in temp than the Crystals so I replaced the Crystals with these only I did the 9005 Coveresion with this set on my Honda. Honestly I couldn't tell a difference from these and the Crystals so I'd recommend either of these if you want a nice looking bulb with decent vision.

Next I tried Nokya Arctic Whites that are advertised at 100/120watts. I don't recommend these at all. Color wise these were the bluest best looking ones I've tried. The problem here was they lit up the ground the same color as the asphalt. I could see pretty well where my fog lights lit up the road but had a lot of trouble seeing where these lit up past that. In the rain they were really bad but this is where most blue bulbs really are bad. In the normal conditions they didn't seem good at all to me. I returned these back to the store I bought them from. If you drive this at night I wouldn't get these. Another thing that worries me is with the Arctic Purples after a week or so the color started burning off. I didn't have these long enough to see if they did that but I'd be worried.

Next set I tried is Farenheit 80/100watt bulbs. These are probably one of my favorite ones. They are probably the 2nd bluest. They light up the road blue but you can still see okay with them. I'm not sure you can see quite as well as with the stock ones but I can see fine for the most part with them. There are sometimes when I've had trouble though. These seem to be what I'd go with if I bought more. They look really good and are white with some blue in them and still a lot better vision wise than the Nokyas were.

Last but not least were Nokya Arctic Purples I put in my Honda. These were great when I first put them in. They were a pinkish color but it looked really good and lit up everything on the road purple. The vision wasn't too bad with these either although I'm not sure up to par with stock. They were great and I loved them for about a week. Thats when the color started burning off. Now they are mostly just white with a very slight hint of purple. I wouldn't recommend these due to this. If they stayed like they started out I would really like them.

Remember if you put high wattage bulbs in you need to upgrade the harness and you still run the risk of melting something else and or melting the actualy headlight housing itself.

If you really want vision a real HID kit is the only way to go. These imitation HID bulbs are just coated bulbs that are usually worse than stock. If you go with HID's a retrofit is the best way to go but even a PnP HID kit probably would be better than any of these bulbs you just probably won't have the best cutoff and might have some glare. They are expensive but if you want the vision they provide they are the only way to go.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:21 AM
gt2wish

wow thanks everyone for all the help i really appreciate it. I tried a few so far, not impressed. im waiting for sylvania to come out with the ultras in a h13, they say those are the brightest and best visibility over all others......we shall see. anyone heard when they are hitting the market?

Old 09-13-2008, 04:14 AM
BCGray
Amateur

One of the major problems with HID bulbs is that they "HATE" being turned on and off quickly......so for high beams most Manufacturers use incandescent bulbs only........But that poises a problem for us Ram peeps, for the stock Ram's comes with a dual purpose Incandescent bulb with dual filament's.

Now back to HID basics, you are in fact creating a arc at a specific frequency to excite a gas(not a filament) This is a slow process(IE not instant) so it is not conducive to being turned on or off. Now some manufacturers offer a "Dual" bulb( one HID, and the other incandescent) however in my research none offer a "Dual" replacement for our bulb a H13.

Next comes the HID heat issue( were talking high heat here) 6000K is about the best "Light Broadcast" spectrum which most use, which easily melts most plastics, which is what your standard Ram comes with.

So what is one to do, well again from my research "Projection Lenses" replacements appear to "Fit the Bill" they offer Glass lenses for the "Low" beam(your HID light) and plastic for your "High Beams"(your Incandescent lights)......However most I have looked at, say they require "Modification" for HID bulbs( what this modification entails I do at this time not know)

Last but not least come the "Legal Facts" which vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction????

So simple put a conversion to "HID" lighting is not a simple matter. You have both "Heat" to consider, as well as cost. Bottom line, from my research so far, you looking at about $500.

Then for us Canadians, as well as some of my American Friends, comes "Daytime Running Lights" and Chrysler's programing for turning off one beam when you are using your turn signal's, with "Daytime Running Lights". This involves relays using the "High Beams"

Quick Reply: Best HID/XENON Bulb for 08' Ram 1500 ???