3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Strange Whistle Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 03:54 PM
United1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Strange Whistle Sound

No air for me either, changes if I step ever so slightly on the pedal. To me, mine is more like a high pitch whine as opposed to a whistle. As I said, going to the dealer Wednesday (under warranty), I'll let you know what they say.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:06 PM
DrivenWS6

One more thing to add. It was between 0 and -4 F the whole trip. I am not sure if that would make a difference or not. I have driven in them col of temps before and it never did it. This is the first time. Just thought I would throw that out there.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:09 PM
United1
Professional

My noise occurs if it is 50 or 0 outside, temp has no effect on mine.

Old 02-11-2008, 06:36 PM
DrivenWS6

Well we are thinking its the alternator. The guage is showing way higher than usual. Anyone heard about alternator problems in these trucks before?

Old 02-12-2008, 02:23 AM
mikey0302

I get this same sound in my 05' 5.7 only when it has been sitting and it is cold. After she warms up to running temp it goes away. I also notice that it changes with engine RPM. I had the noise tonite on the way to work, truck sat all afternoon and when I left for work at 9:30 the temp outside was 13' F After getting to the main road and speeding up I heard the whistle, but it went away after warming up. I have not noticed any changes as far as performance, pickup, or change in feel,I am assuming that its a leak in the intake plenum somewhere.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:46 AM
WhiteRam
Professional

"As I said, going to the dealer Wednesday (under warranty), I'll let you know what they say. "

You either know the dealer well or you're a brave man. Didn't have the noise before I took it in to get the heater duct fixed, they bent the crap out of my trailer brake bracket and managed to misplace my sons RUSH CD? I don't hit the dealer unless it's a warranty deal... then I still wince.

Old 02-12-2008, 06:52 PM
DrivenWS6
Default RE: Strange Whistle Sound (update)

Well I checked the output voltage of the alternator and its at 15v or above and I know it shouldnt be that high. So i'm guessing the whistle sound was the alternator working overtime. I always knew GM had a lot of problems with their alternators, never really heard of many chryslers having problems with them though.

Old 02-13-2008, 12:02 PM
United1
Professional

I am fortunate, I do know the service manager and the mechanic well. I normally do my own work but some things I leave to them (I don't mess with trans fluid changes). Chris, one of the the mechanics there, is the only one that works on my cars and has been for about the last 10 years. If I need something done that I don't want to touch heoffers tocome in early for me so I can make it to work. For example, the Aspen is in now for a defective heater element in the seat. Normally I wait for the car, but, in this case, Chris asked me to leave it for the day because he hasn't had todo one in an Aspen yet. He is very particular and makes sure that whatever he does it is done right as if it was his own car. He did not want to have to worry about rushing to get it done because I was waiting. I thought it was great that he asked me to leave it so that he could take whatever time he needed to not only get it right but to do a clean job as well. As I said, I am fortunate. I trust Chris, his opinions and diagnosis. I know that whatever work he does for me will be as good as what I would do myself. By the way, the dealer is in Elgin, IL, if anyone is in the area looking for a reputable dealer.

So, as long as it is there, he will check out the whistle/whine noise too (it is warranty).

Quick Reply: Strange Whistle Sound