3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

TrueFlow MPG! WTF!!!!! Update!

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: TrueFlow MPG! WTF!!!!! Update!

ORIGINAL: tdmopar59

well everyone remember my golden rule... ignore hankL....
Greggie, that's the single best tip anyone has ever given on any forum...[sm=deal.gif]

Old 03-13-2008, 07:52 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it is quite safe
to ignore HankL
as long as you commit yourself to read
the Bosch Automotive Hankbook
cover to cover:

you can read it for free
if you get a gmail account and passwd

as you read it it worth remembering
that American, British, Polish, Russian, Japanese and Germans
died learning many of the things in that book
as many things were discovered in war

Old 03-26-2008, 01:50 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Filled up today, and got 15.2 mpg with the factory setup. So I am getting better with the factory stuff over the Trueflow. So that being said, my Trueflow is now for sale.

Old 03-26-2008, 03:33 PM
HEMI07
Veteran

Did you put a K&N in your factory airbox? I also have the true flow, and am not really happy with it. All the extra engine noises I hear now annoy the hell out of me. Does anyone know if you hear all those noises with the K&N cai?

Old 03-26-2008, 05:54 PM
casper3380
Veteran

when, on older vehicles, i put an intake on, i didnt get any improved mpg, though i blame that on the fact my foot got heavier some how,lol
As for the drop in i put in my ram, ive noticed a bit of power change but mileage is still the same im afraid.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: HEMI07

Did you put a K&N in your factory airbox? I also have the true flow, and am not really happy with it. All the extra engine noises I hear now annoy the hell out of me. Does anyone know if you hear all those noises with the K&N cai?
Just don't get the K&N 77 Series!!! I have no problem with the performance, but that pretty chrome tube amplifies EVERYTHING. The EGR valve flutter has taken me forever to get used to. Friends have the one with the plastic tube, 63 series I think, and it isn't half as loud as the metal tube on mine...

Old 03-26-2008, 06:24 PM
287cc
Veteran

The Peddler, I read your signature and you dont have a programmer listed. Is that an updated sig? If you dont have one engine mods like intakes, exhaust, etc,etc wont do a damn thing to these trucks without one, since the pcm will just relearnthe factory settings, and have some negative effects like you did.I know someone that installed cams and all the goodies on his 4.7 ram and ran the same on his 1/4 miletimes like he when he was stock since,there is no tuning available for his year. It would not of surprised me that you probably lost a few hp either. Its almost basically pointless to do any mods to these trucks without a tuner.
If you want to increase a little more mpg look into a electric fan. Now thats a great mod, that does not require a tune.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 PM
pprophett99

roll tide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: 287cc

The Peddler, I read your signature and you dont have a programmer listed. Is that an updated sig? If you dont have one engine mods like intakes, exhaust, etc,etc wont do a damn thing to these trucks without one, since the pcm will just relearnthe factory settings, and have some negative effects like you did.I know someone that installed cams and all the goodies on his 4.7 ram and ran the same on his 1/4 miletimes like he when he was stock since,there is no tuning available for his year. It would not of surprised me that you probably lost a few hp either. Its almost basically pointless to do any mods to these trucks without a tuner.
If you want to increase a little more mpg look into a electric fan. Now thats a great mod, that does not require a tune.

No I don't have a programmer. I myself can't see giving $300+ for one. Maybe in a year or so when the price comes down, I will get one.

Old 03-26-2008, 10:29 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: The Peddler

No I don't have a programmer. I myself can't see giving $300+ for one. Maybe in a year or so when the price comes down, I will get one.
Just hold out a bit longer, if I'm right on this, a lot of guys like me, who've spent WAY too much on mods will be buying the SCT tuner in search of custom tune bliss. Then there will be a bunch of used Superchips Flashpaq's for sale cheap...

Quick Reply: TrueFlow MPG! WTF!!!!! Update!