3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2004 Dodge Ram Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
estone4009
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Dodge Ram Stalling

I have a 2004 Dodge Ram with an automatic transmission that will stall when stopping at a stop light. It does it in any temperature. If you catch the RPM's dropping and shift it into neutral then the RPM's will recover. It acts like something in the tranny is pulling the engine down. I repalced the tranny filter a few months ago hoping that was the problem but no help. Any ideas?

Old 02-12-2008, 01:31 PM
StevenMoffettKY
Veteran
Default RE: 2004 Dodge Ram Stalling

Common problem. I don't think any true resolution has been brought to light. It will be suggested to clean your throttle body. Do I search on here for 04-05 Rams stalling, you aren't the only one.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:00 PM
estone4009

I cleaned the Throttle body a few weeks ago and that hasnt seemed to help. I also checked and it is not throwing any codes. I have heard of one case where the torque convertor was causing this same issue. Because the idle will recover if you shift it into neutral it leads me to belive it is transmission relatedalthough that doesnt sound like something cheap to fix.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:15 PM
lonewolf3197

I have an 04 QC 1500 as well and went throught the same problems. As a matter of fact, I joined this forum to find the answer. This may sound dumb, but check your brakes. I changed out my pads and rotors and cleaned and greased the speed sensor in the wheel hub and I havne't had one stall since then. When my Ram was stalling out I notice a slight brake squeek prior to it keeling over.This happened all the timeand I considered parking it.I tried every other suggestion on theis site, including having the PCMupdate by the dealerand nothing worked until I did the brakes. Just figured I would share what worked for me.

The Wolf

Old 02-25-2008, 12:12 PM
menglish

I found the problem to my stalling!! I was driving home from work this morning and thought I would stop in to the AUTOZONE, auto parts store for a free code reading. I was fully prepared to buy a scanner to read my check engine light code but have put it off. Anyhow, Autozone could not help me because, as the person behind the counter stated, "We are in the process of opening up the store and there are only two (peoples) here." I was the only one in the store at the time. I decided to go to another parts store (Murrays Auto Parts, Detroit area chain) and they would not read the code, but if I gave them my drivers license, I could take the reader out into the parking lot and hook it up myself.(It's pretty simple to do, plug in turn your key to on, not start, and follow the directions on the scanner.) The scanner gave me the following codes: P0404, P0406 and P1607. These codes are related to an EGR Valve malfunction. You can obtain all of the codes online if you go to www.Google.com and type in, "Dodge Ram Trouble codes." I took off the old EGR valve and opened the top of the valve, where the connector goes in. (((This is a sealed valve coil and usually will not be opened by an end user)) I noticed a lot of condensation under the connection cover and one of the coil leads were corroded and broken in two. Also there was an aroma of a burnt coil. Please contact me if you want pictures so we are crystal clear what I did. I am an electrician and it's not a big deal to me to tear something like this apart, but opinions can vary and I realize that. It's best to be cautious in whatever you do. I ended up getting the EGR Valve and gasket at the Dodge dealer for $71.09. When I received the part, I noticed it was the same manufacturer as the origional and I made a comment to the service manager about it. He said they made a modification to it so it should hold up. I compared it to the origional and it looks the same. I'm not too sure about it but NEXT time I will know what to get right off the bat. Heck, I might keep one on the shelf of my garage just in case. I ended up replacing it and now have no further problems. I still have the check engine light on but it should go out soon because I did not reset it when I had the scanner.I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4 and the EGR Part Number is: 53032509-AM VALVE EGR 14038024 and the gasket is: 5277928 GASKET EG 14062002. Hope this helps and I tried to get one from the parts store but the best they could do is one day. The dealer had 6 of them in stock. Sorry for the long version but I wanted to give all information.

Old 06-23-2008, 04:44 PM
cavitator

I apologize if this is a hijack of this thread but I did do a search of the forum and google.

Anybody have a recommeneded location to buy the EGR valve and gasket online? Maybe I need to call Mopar? I found this one here for $50. http://store.moparparts.org/doramegrvaw5.html

If I go to the dealer it will probably be 50% more than it should be. I have a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 2WD. I assume the part numbers:

EGR Part Number is: 53032509-AM VALVE EGR 14038024
Gasket Part Number is: 5277928 GASKET EG 14062002

are the same for the 4WD and 2WD.

I have the Haynes Repair manual but I didn't find anything on the repair just a mention of the EGR valve. I'll use the DIY in the forum which seems pretty simple. Just need the parts! Thanks for your assistance.

Here is another reference I found on the web for an EGR valve replacement. http://www.ttzd.com/tech/egrtech.html

Old 06-23-2008, 10:34 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Hope he does'nt mind... But... Parts/Service works at a dodge dealership and he can give you the correct part numbers for your truck.. and he can give you dealer prices as well... PM him and ask.... I'm sure he'll know what it is...

Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 PM
cavitator

Thanks but the PM settings don't allow it. Maybe they'll send a reply. Thanks anyway.

Old 03-19-2013, 12:11 PM
Sharona N Jack Rogers
Default 04 ram 1500 stalling

our stalling issue was after the truck warmed up. we just bought it and it did fine on the test run then about 2 miles from the dealer it went dead twice. we kept it from stalling again to get it back to the dealer. their mechanic replaced a shaft sensor (i think cam) and it seemed to work until we drove it about 15 miles then it stalled twice back to back but hasnt done it since. we added octane booster and fuel injector cleaner to the gas and so far no stalls but we dont think we are out of the woods with it stalling. im open for suggestions and comments regarding this because my husband and me are wanting to try and rule out taking it to a mechanic and just fix it ourselves. thanks for reading and commenting.

Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well this is an old thread...

What Motor is in your 2004 Dodge Ram 1500?

5.7L V8 Hemi?
4.7L V8?
Cummins Turbo Diesel?
3.6L V6?

Or some kinda flux-capacitor? (joking)

Without knowing that info we can shoot in the dark all day.

Quick Reply: 2004 Dodge Ram Stalling