3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trailer Pull with 4.7 - SUCKS

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 04:26 PM
dwoods
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Trailer Pull with 4.7 - SUCKS

well i guess i just got a good one because i haul tractors for my dads company all the time with my 4.7and i get 12-13 @ 65 withod off anda 18ft double 3500lb axle trailer with anywhere from a 20-75hp tractor with a loader and i just got 3.55 gears w/o chips or any engine mod.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 PM
red06RAM
All Star

I don't do any towing but I am very pleased with the power my truck has. Pulls great even with 1000-1500 lbs in the back. In a few years I would like a CTD though. The power that you can get out of those trucks is amazing.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:01 AM
rcazwillis

dwoods that is good to hear. I am wondering how much the wind had to do with the issue. The storm was blowing pretty good. The trailer is a big box and will have more drag due to the area on the front.

If I change gears, I would not expect Dodge to warranty the rear end.

We are going camping this weekend if the weather is good. I will get a better feel for its ability.

Everyone - Don't get me wrong, I love the truck. Maybe I can get by untilt he lease is out and buy a good used CTD!!

Old 02-19-2008, 10:12 AM
Baddog543
Veteran

If you wind there was as bad as the wind has been here the last 24 hours then it was bad. My 4.7L tows my 3500 lb camper just fine, I hardly know that it is back there. The wind could have been a huge factor.I have been towing campers for years and it does not bode well in wind. The hitch can also be a big factor with having to drive "white knuckled" they do make different hitches to help out with that. The sway bar is just a start they also make hitches that have a little give in them to also reduce the sway so you don't feel that you are driving on ice all trip.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
rcazwillis

Baddog, what type of electric fans did you put on the truck? I will find out this weekend on how it tows in good weather.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:17 PM
shah 303
Professional

hey, why didnt you get hemi because i have hemi and it works like a champ. But all i know that cummins diesel is the best out there because it can tow just about anything because it racked up about 700 pounds of torque and 400 horsepowers. IT is a lot of power to tow a big rig truck or an 18 wheelers.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:39 AM
JD1500
Record Breaker

Wind would have been a huge factor. In some manuals it states how large of an area you can pull. Like not over 132 Sq in o whatever (i made that number up). all that wind resistance plays hell on your towing.

Ive towed a 6k pd tt before, pulls fine, but its amazing how much better a 6k pound chipper pulls, just because it;s so much smaller wind resistance wise.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:45 AM
rcazwillis

Towed the new camper this weekend in good weather. The truck handled it much better. However, it still does not have the power to go down the road. It is working hard and I think the primary factor is the wall I am pushing down the road.

Couple of things I did that made a big difference in the towing stability.
1. Setup your weight distributing hitch correctly. If the instructions that came with your hitch are not clear, then check out Reese's web page. Their instructions are clear and apply to any hitch built the same.
2. Inflate your truck and trailer tires to max pressure. It will feel much more stable.
3. Make sure you have the trailer loaded properly. Too much tongue weight will adversally impact the tow vehicle.

For those that insist on reminding that I should have gotten the Hemi, you're right. Keep punishing me, I can take it and deserve it.[:@]

Quick Reply: Trailer Pull with 4.7 - SUCKS