3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Differential

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 08:26 PM
tys03dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differential

Hi there!
I am brand new to the forum and have joined because I've just purchased an '03 Dodge Ram, 1500, quad cab, V8 truck. So far, I really like it... more power than I'm used to after having an '04 Jetta. I have a question: I was told that the differential was fine, but that it showed a little moisture because when it was previously checked (case taken off), oil was spilled. I've had Sears auto look at it as well as Firestone - neither of them did work on it because they said it was fine. My neighbor said to have a third auto shop look at it. I'm not sure if he just wants to be right or if I really should take my truck back in. It just seems to me that either Sears or Firestone would have been happy to take my money and do the work on the differential if I needed it, but instead they said it was straight. I look forward to getting acclamated (sp) with the forum.
Michele

Old 02-18-2008, 12:30 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker
Default RE: Differential

ORIGINAL: tys03dodge

I was told that the differential was fine, but that it showed a little moisture because when it was previously checked (case taken off), oil was spilled. I've had Sears auto look at it as well as Firestone - neither of them did work on it because they said it was fine. My neighbor said to have a third auto shop look at it.
Welcome to the forum. What do you mean by the above quote? If oil and water mix, it looks like chocolate milk. (creamy brown) If water DID get sucked into the rear end due to submersion, was it salt water or fresh water? How long was it there before replaced? Most importantly, is the rear end making any noise (whining)? If it has been inspected twice, and makes no noise, I'd say you lucked out and leave it alone for now.
Kurt

Old 02-18-2008, 01:38 AM
tys03dodge

Hi Kurt,
Thanks so much for your response. To my knowledge, the truck has never been submerged in water, I know for a fact that there is no noise nor is it leaking anywhere in the differential. My neighbor just stated that the differential appears to have "moisture" on the casing (as if it has been in water). Thanks for the advise... I'll clean it and keep an eye on it to see if it remains clean/dry.

Regards,
Michele

Old 02-18-2008, 09:32 AM
kurts2
Record Breaker

The truck need not be submerged in water for water to get into the differential, only the axel (and a bad/disconnected snorkel tube). This can happen if the truck is used to trailer a boat. As for “moisture” on the case, that’s fine.

I have to ask, by moisture, do you mean residual oil? If so, just look for oil stains on the ground where the truck regularly sits overnight. Also, check the level every once and a while by pulling the fill plug (while the truck is on LEVEL GROUND) and ensuring the oil is topped right to the bottom of the hole. Many times once the rear end has been opened, they can have small leaks due to improper sealing. This may be what your neighbor is talking about. If it's leaking, you could try to have the mec. who did the job, re-do it, but good luck! Not to mention, if he didn't do the job right before, I would reconcider using him for future jobs.
Kurt

Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 AM
tys03dodge

Excellent, Kurt! Yes, and by "moisture", I meant residual oil. I know this because earlier I was able to wipe some of the oil. What you have said is consistent with Sears Auto. Thanks for the valuable info.

Michele

Quick Reply: Differential