3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

DIY remote start

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
joeboatertx
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DIY remote start

I would like to add a remote start to my 2008 QC. It has the factory alarm, keyless entry, and key based ignition disable. Basically everything BUT remote start! I have had a couple of local installers say they could not help me. Basically I am looking for someone who has done it themselves or is an installer. I am pretty sure I need a data interface like one from DEI but want to know what parts I need and if I will be able to add additional alarm inputs to the factory alarm.

Anyone have real experience with a DIY install for remote start on an 08 model?

Old 02-17-2008, 09:46 PM
CRMRAM
Veteran
Default RE: DIY remote start

You can buy the one from your dealership and they can do the install too.A friend of mine bought an 08 Hemi and it had the remote start option.

But a response to your question,I dont know anyone who has done it.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 PM
bwhite757
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I had an 08 I would buy the factory keyless start as you get 2 new keys with the remote start built in the key remote. With the 07's you have to go with an extra remote anyway, so I'll be heading to the aftermarket world..

Local installers are turning away a LOT of newer vehicles because the install is getting harder the newer the vehicle is. I've looked into it, it takes 4 relays and a handful of resisters to get the job done. If you're not inclined in the electrical department I would take it to someone who knows what they are doing. It'll be an involved install....

Old 02-19-2008, 07:38 PM
53fireman
Rookie

Lookup mopar part # 82211439AC - it's a 1 piece kit that comes with 2 keys and is about a 2 hour install... works great for me

Old 03-12-2008, 09:45 PM
joeboatertx

I am checking into the kit mentioned above. I asked my dealer bofore my original post here and they had no clue. The parts guy went off on a wild tangent talking about the possibly thousands of dollars worth of parts that might be involved.

Still a possibility but does not give me the option of adding additional door (tailgate) and shock sensors for the alarm. I am only interested in 3rd party kits unless someone knows how to add sensors to the factory alarm?

I am willing and able to do the install myself. I have done several Ford and GM's in the past. This is my first Dodge and therefore my first Dodge install.

Quick Reply: DIY remote start