3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Tranny leak fixed

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 AM
RaptorRacing
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny leak fixed

Okay so i posted a week ago that my tranny had a leak well i called a few tranny shops around here and they said it was the rear seal and that they all go bad after awhile, so they said we will have to drop the drive shaft take off the over drive unit and bang out the bearings just to get to the seal, well the prices ranged from 250.00 all the way to 450.00 i'm no mech. but just to change a seal? anyway i want to carquest and asked them how hard it was to replace guy said simple a changing a tire so i said why not needless to say 12.80 for the seal and 20 minutes later I WAS FINISHED JUST GOES TO SHOW HOW SOME PEOPLE TRY TO STEAL.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:45 AM
RamItOne
Default RE: Tranny leak fixed

Call Ken Amaro at first coast news, report those shops. Did they give you written estimates?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:00 AM
RaptorRacing
Veteran

no it was over the phone but for a 12.80 part and twenty minutes of labor they r stealing from people man...crazy just plain crazy.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:24 AM
RamItOne

you should see if you can get it in writting and take it to the news. Think of how many people they're screwing.

Btw what's the name of the shop.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:42 AM
RaptorRacing
Veteran

one was bills transmission . american transmission and i foregot the other one its a big corperate one

Old 11-03-2009, 02:17 AM
wads97gts

Its great to fix things yourself. Get a high quality service manual and wrench yourself.

Old 11-03-2009, 06:42 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RaptorRacing
no it was over the phone but for a 12.80 part and twenty minutes of labor they r stealing from people man...crazy just plain crazy.
Here's how things generally work at a shop.
$12.80 part that they get from NAPA jut like you but they charge NAPA's RETAIl price of $22.80 ($10 in their pocket just for getting the seal)
Then there is the Labor. They go by book labor and not actual time. So if book Labor on that part exchange is 2.5hours. That's what they charge whether it took them that much time or not. BUT, if it takes them longer, they usually charge. B.S,and a one sided. Labor is about $75/hr depending on where you go.
So 2.5hrs at 75/hr is about $200 including the part plus all applicable taxes.

This is a similar situation where a guy last week posted up about how a garage wanted to charge lots of $$$$$ to change bearings and seals on the front end of his truck. Needless to say there are no bearings and seals to replace. Just the whole Hub assembly which is failry easy and much cheaper. Most guys throw a price out over the phone because MOST phone calls are not serious. generally phone calls are price bargain shoppers and you will never see or hear from them again. However, doesn't mean they should treat every customer as such.

Old 11-03-2009, 07:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I was thinking he was talking about the pinion seal and not the trans rear seal.

Quick Reply: Tranny leak fixed