3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Freakin OUT NEW OWNER Please Helpp

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 PM
Hemiriden
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Freakin OUT NEW OWNER Please Helpp

I am not 100% sure about 04's but my 05 came with a 7yr 75000 mile powertrain warranty. It is a factory warranty and is covered reguardless if your owner 1 or 8.... Because it is a factory warranty it does not need transfered. IT is implied. like if you bought a used car 1yr old with 20k miles... you know it has a factry warranty for 3yrs or 36000. Same with the powertrain warranty. I have AAA and they tow for free upto 100 miles.... goodsam and other places also do that. if you have one of them it will help. Either way... have it towed to the dealer. They should fix the problem under the warranty.

As for common? I know several people with ram's that date back as far as 1990. None have had the problem your having. It sounds like a fuel problem. Something may have clogged the fuel filter, or the pump may have gome out... either way the dealer should find it and fix it.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 AM
The Peddler
Record Breaker

You might have some bad gas. Take that gas out, and try some more gas.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:58 AM
kpreston

ok all the above are great things to start with, but i have a couple more to add. My friends truck when he bought it and filled it up for the first time, itran like crap right off the lot. Come to find out he had a sensor for the gas lid, it wasn't tight enough. this doesn't mean just to go out and crank on it with a torque wrench, just a couple more clicks. sounds crazy, but it worked. his second ram is an 02 with almost 60,000 miles on it. so far he has had to replace three injectors and a fuel pump. i don't know the millage for any of the occurring though. and mine has a little over 40,000 and it is flashing the e.g.r code but i believe it may be because i have no cats. But it still runs normally. I would check for bad gas first though. i know it ran good for a while.but it could have easily been running on the gas that was originally in it at first. differentgas can do different things.if you empty the tank, refill somewhere else. if this doesn't work try the fuel pump. just because it only has a little over 50k doesn't mean that stuff cant go wrong. i bought a van, drove it three miles off the lot (new) and it burned to the ground. (faulty security wiring). my dad bought a new Chevy hd, the fuel pump went out in the lot as he was leaving the dealership. So don't feel so bad about your ride just yet, it's probably something small. good luck with your problem and hopefully no-one will have the problems my family as had. lol...

Old 02-24-2008, 11:42 AM
stratusguy02
Professional

You said you are mechanically inclined, did you check to make sure you are getting fuel and spark? That is always a good place to start.

Old 02-24-2008, 02:00 PM
94sleeperz

First off i would like to say thanks to everybody, I am apart of another forum and it seemed like I had to bump it 8 times before anybody would help. Update on the truck, i went home, started right up with no problems. I drove it around all night last night and today no problems. So we will see. I am hoping it was bad gas from when it was on the lot or something. Thanks again

Cody

Old 02-24-2008, 02:02 PM
jstmahoney
Captain

Call the deler and explain the issue.Usuallythey will wantto help you out,see if they will.Did they give you any kind of waranty? Every time ive bought a used car they have at lesat a 3 month 3,000 mi war. I have a 2003 1500 hemi Ram and i have 108, 000 miles on it and besides the a/c heater problem it is a great truck.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:07 PM
dwoods
Professional

it might be the fuel pump or the plugs might have gotten fouled or something., the fuel filter might even be clogged.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:39 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: leo305sr

ORIGINAL: chadrules

you should take the truck back and get you rmoney back, you have every legal right to. i think some states give you 3 days under implied warranty
in florida you got 3 days to cancel a contract
In Florida, that has VERY limited applications.Doesn't apply to used cars. If he bought it "as is", he's at the mercy of the dealer.

Old 02-24-2008, 03:50 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: 94sleeperz

First off i would like to say thanks to everybody, I am apart of another forum and it seemed like I had to bump it 8 times before anybody would help. Update on the truck, i went home, started right up with no problems. I drove it around all night last night and today no problems. So we will see. I am hoping it was bad gas from when it was on the lot or something. Thanks again

Cody
Sounds like you're on the right track... When I bought my Gen 2 Ram, it was completely without ANY warranty (repo straight off the auction lot). Within four miles, it was spittin' an' sputterin' BADLY. It barely made it to the first gas station on the route. I filled it up and it started fine. It balked a bit for the next hour or so andran fine after that. My guess was water in the gas from sitting on the auction lot for a month or so.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:03 PM
94sleeperz

I am thinking thats what it was as well, i just spoke with a Dodge tech that is a friend of a friend. He told me unlike a GM fuel pumps a dodge pump will stop, do like it did with me, you can bang on the tank and it run fine, start up 40-50 more times without a problem. Unlike a gm pump were when it goes it goes. So we will see, if it happens again i will shut it down and try to check fuel pressure to make sure its the pump, wont be the first pump i have replaced it will not be the last. Thanks again to everybody

Cody

Quick Reply: Freakin OUT NEW OWNER Please Helpp