3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

K&N 77 CAI Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 11:11 PM
johnsaballer
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&N 77 CAI Rattle

here's the situation, got a 2004 5.7L Hemi, put a K&N 77 series on it, box is on tight, IAT is in tight, pretty much in there as tight as possible. When the engine is cool everything is great sounds like it should. When the engine is warmed up there is a rattle. The rattle only happens when the truck is driving. it does not happen when it's parked and i rev it. I found another forum that had a similar issue but on a Mini Cooper and said that replacing the exhaust fixed it. It so happens I am also replacing the exhaust in the next week or so, but would rather have the rattle squared away prior to that.

Any Thoughts?

John

will post pictures tomorrow.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: K&N 77 CAI Rattle

Are sure that it's a rattle you are hearing or the EGR valve which is amplified like a jillion times by the metal tube that the 77 uses?

Old 02-27-2008, 01:36 AM
Bigbody
Professional

hey hey i have the same thing with mine it happens at around 2000 to 2500 rpm i brought it in to the dealer they told me i was hearing the throttle body becauseof the intake. i tried the same thing put it in neutral and reved it and nothingso maybe this could be the same thing, and i'm glad to see that someone else is hearing this other than me

Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 AM
johnsaballer
Rookie

I'm going to check and see if it's the EGR valve, but I don't get why it would only happen when hot, and in midrange RPM. A buddy of mine was saying he thought it could be, because it's sucking in more air that it's actually putting out. I'm thinking of just getting fire proof seals and testing them in different locations.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:43 AM
SWOS Chief
Veteran

Ok, OK, OK, so watcha do is open the hood, have someone lean over the engine and close the hood as far as possible on them so you can see the drive five miles while varying the range of RPM's from 1500-6000. Let them tell you, if they are still alive whether the sound was coming from your intake or not

Old 02-27-2008, 11:55 AM
johnsaballer
Rookie

trust me i though about it SWOS, if i had a mile straight i might consider putting one of my less important friends on the line....kidding. it's just odd, i wonder if a plastic intake would do the same?

Quick Reply: K&N 77 CAI Rattle