3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Leveling kit + 35" tires = gear change?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 03:30 PM
laramiedodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit + 35" tires = gear change?????

Hey, I have a 05, Ram 1500 Laramie 4X4and I was going to put a 2" leveling kit, with a add-a-leaf in the back, and wanted to put on 35" toyo open country M/T. I heard that I would have change my gear ratio, is this true? and if so how much would that cost? Thanks

Old 02-27-2008, 03:48 PM
SLCHemi
Professional
Default RE: Leveling kit + 35" tires = gear change?????

"Have to" no....

"should".....maybe

"want to"....definately yes!

It's not so much the lift but the larger diameter tires. With your stock gearing you'll notice that the truck feels allot more sluggish with 35's...if you gear up to 4.56's (one of the most popular choices) you'll get it all back and them some. In terms of cost, can depend on your shop's labor rates, etc....That's another point, re-gearing isn't necessarily the best project for a "shade-tree" machanic...so unless you've done it before (and it went well) I'd suggest finding a reputable shop, that does gears regularly (maybe even has references). Because it's a 4X4 you'll need to do both ends as well.

In terms of pricing, I suggest getting the master install kit for both ends. Comes with all that you need - for estimates you can find 'em on http://www.ringpinion.com ...or your local shop may be able to quote you...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:53 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

+1.
I agree with SLC on every aspect.
Other places to check for prices are Moe's, Air Ram, 4 Wheel Parts...

Motives have a solid reputation, but really I think any name brand would be fine, I don't think anybody makes a bad set of gears. It's ALL about the installation...

Old 02-27-2008, 03:57 PM
XxSilentHawk99xX
Captain

depending on where you live, there is a place known as South Bay Truck that regeared mine and thats all they do...is differential servicing/re-gearing. After I went from the stock 235/60/R17's to the 285/70/R17"s, I noticed with the 4.56 gears that I got a lot of the power back that I lost.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit + 35" tires = gear change?????